Wrote to Better Homes & Gardens Magazine about KK Pic

Archived information regarding hermit crab welfare work done online, in pet stores and in the wild. Also discussions about the larger ramifications of keeping crabs as pets, captive breeding, etc.

Topic author
tnyfootprntz

Post by tnyfootprntz » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:27 am

Anyone get Better Homes and Gardens? Aug. issue came today - pg. 164 looks to have a crab in a critter carrier on the shelf. Anyhoo, I felt bold enough to send this email:"To all the pet lovers at BH&G:I was enjoying the August article "Putting a Smile on Style" and paid special attention to the home owner's use of old maps for wallpaper. My enjoyment abrubtly ended, however, when my eyes landed on the middle shelf of "souvenirs" to discover what looks like a land hermit crab being housed in a small acrylic box. Many pet stores and beach-front souvenir shops would like their customers to believe it's perfectly fine to keep land hermit crabs in this manner, because they're so much easier to sell that way. But these tropical-dwelling animals require a habitat that can address their special needs for humidity and warmth, among many other things, if they are to survive in captivity for very long. Under proper care hermit crabs can bring decades of joy, as they are quite amazing creatures and well worth the extra effort. I have always believed Better Homes and Gardens is a magazine dedicated to helping families create happy, healthy environments for themselves as well as their pets. Please don't prove me wrong by publishing photos depicting a home that is harmful to any pet, especially my favorite, the land hermit crab.For accurate information about how to care for land hermit crabs, please go to www.landhermitcrabs.com or www.hermit-crabs.com. "If you think of it next time you're in check-out line at the grocery store turn to p.164 and tell me if you think I'm crazy. It's a tiny picture but I'm almost positive there's a crab in a Babylon or similar shell in that critter carrier.Maybe I'm over-reacting, but I just felt like letting them know they were contributing to the myth that crabs can be housed that way.

Kharasmatic

Post by Kharasmatic » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:36 pm

It's good that you sent that e mail. People need to be educated. The people in the magazine probably didn't even know that it's harmful to keep hermies in small kk's like the one in the picture.
~kharasmatic

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:28 pm

Very well written email, Sue! I'd love to see the response you get. I'm going to check out the mag tomorrow at Wal-Mart.Ironically, while at the doctors' today, I was paging through an old Redbook and was reading about "Finding Your Child The Perfect Pet". Naturally, they listed fish and hermit crabs as a great first pet although they did state that a tank should be purchased for them. They also stated something to the effect that children wouldn't find crabs cute and cuddly. What's up with womens' magazines and the misinformation on hermit crabs?
~ crabbing since 2003

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:42 pm

I actually bought the mag today and I definitely think that it looks like a crab in there, particularly when they described it as the "teen's bedroom". They've incorporated the crab as part of the decor! I may just write them a short email myself.
~ crabbing since 2003

Topic author
tnyfootprntz

Post by tnyfootprntz » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:35 pm

quote: They've incorporated the crab as part of the decor! - and refered to it as a souvenir .That would be great, Nicole, if you sent an email to them. If anyone else wants to jump on the wagon (power in numbers) here's the address:1716Locust@meredith.comor snail mail:Better Homes and Gardens1716 Locust St.DesMoines, IA 50309-3023

Topic author
tnyfootprntz

Post by tnyfootprntz » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:13 am

Hey, I heard from BH&G, really nice response:* * * * * * * * * * * *Dear Suzie, Thank you for your interest in Better Homes and Gardens magazine. Thank you also for your email. I appreciate your comments, and feedback from our readers is indeed important to us. I will pass along your remarks concerning the hermit crab habitat in our August 2006 issue to our editors. Even though we like to hear praise for our efforts, negative feedback is often more helpful. I doubt very much that either the homeowner, her daughter or our editors knew much about hermit crabs, their habitat needs and requirements before your letter – you will most likely open some eyes. I will pass your email along to the features department in case they see a need for a story about this in a future issue. Please know that each month we strive to create a magazine that is appealing to a wide audience - covering a variety of subjects in an attempt to inspire and inform our readers. Sometimes, though, readers are disappointed with our efforts and we appreciate when they take the time to write. Once again, Suzie, I appreciate your candid appraisal and thoughtful information in respect to the Home Design section of our magazine. I am sure your comments will be helpful to our editors as they plan future issues.All the very best,Christi@1716Locust* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Wouldn't an informative feature article on hermit crabs in a major magazine be awesome? Oh, I hope it happens!

Topic author
newhermiemami

Post by newhermiemami » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:05 am

Your letter was very thought out and well said. You were polite and even complimented the mag. I wrote a letter into Baby Talk mag and it was published just last month...or the month before. If anyone reads that you'll see it. Neways its a good chance that they will publish the letter under the letters to the editor part and maybe even comment on it. Well that would be nice anyways cuz other readers would then maybe learn something and maybe you'r helping hundreds more hermit crabs without even being aware of it.

Topic author
tnyfootprntz

Post by tnyfootprntz » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:30 pm

No worries, Nicole, it's nice to know one letter was all it took. Come to think of it a bombardment of mail might have looked suspicious and had a different result. Who knows? We grew up with BH&G being a staple in our house and when I got married, Mom gave me a subscription and has never let it expire. Funny thing is I told her last month I wasn't getting as much out of it anymore and she didn't have to renew next time. Yesterday when I told her about the letter she said, "so I guess I'll send in that renewal card, huh?"