Hermit Crabs Killed On "Survivor"

Archived information regarding hermit crab welfare work done online, in pet stores and in the wild. Also discussions about the larger ramifications of keeping crabs as pets, captive breeding, etc.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:12 pm

That kind of thing doesn't bother me. I'm not a survivor fan, as I don't think having challenges and cameras around all the time is reality. I do realize, however, that hunger was a big issue with the tribes. And, well, when you're really hungry...you just don't really care. Honestly, if worst came to absolute worst, I would probably eat my own pets. Hopefully, though, none of us will ever be faced with such a situation. Anyway, small animals are often used as bait. I'm also an active aquarist, but I have no problem with fishing (except for shark fins, dolphins, whales, and other endangered species.) If I were stranded on an island (not a SURVIVOR situation, but the real thing) I wouldn't think twice about using hermit crabs as bait. It's either them or me. Life in the wild's like that.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:29 am

I watched the show for a few episodes the first season. Not only did I despise Richard Hatch, I didn't like the way animals were treated, so I stopped watching. My friends and I call the show "Savages". I refuse to watch a show where animals are tortured, hurt, or killed and I definately won't let my daughter watch it. I don't want her to think that kind of thing is OK and I don't want her to get to used to seeing it.