Adopting....how sould i do this??

Archived information regarding hermit crab welfare work done online, in pet stores and in the wild. Also discussions about the larger ramifications of keeping crabs as pets, captive breeding, etc.

Topic author
Miko

Post by Miko » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:57 am

i found a full 10g set up on Clist yesterday with one crab, they said they only had it a few months, with about an inch of sand in the tank...when i get it home should i put him in my tiny iso tank for a few weeks or a few days or would it be ok to put hin in with the other crabs since im not getting him from a pet store.
5PP's and 1E, 67g Tank. 1Dog and a kid!!

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:31 am

He still needs to be iso'd for four weeks by himself even if he isn't coming from a store doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't have any external pests like mite or internal illnesses that could be spread to your existing hermits not to mention the poor hermit in question has barely been surviving and needs to rest and tank up on nutrients before being forced into a stressful meet and greet with it's new tank mates.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Miko

Post by Miko » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:02 am

ok thank you so much crabber85 you have been such a big help!!!
5PP's and 1E, 67g Tank. 1Dog and a kid!!

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:44 am

Your more than welcome, helping is why I'm here.lol
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

finalfantasyxii

Post by finalfantasyxii » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:56 am

I've read that you don't need to ISO them only if they come from a trusted source - like another crazy crabber like the people on here! Is that true?Also what if you ordered one from HCP? Those are supposed to have survived a molt before coming to you.
Y'all can call me Sara
Certifiably Crab Crazy
http://s1051.photobucket.com/albums/s432/herder79/

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:02 am

@finalfantasy, if you adopt from an experienced crabber or from a place like the Hermitcrab Patch then No isolating is not necessary.
#Autism Speaks.

finalfantasyxii

Post by finalfantasyxii » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:20 am

Good to know! Thanks, Crabber85! I dream of ordering from HCP one day... once I have my 150 gallon... someday!
Y'all can call me Sara
Certifiably Crab Crazy
http://s1051.photobucket.com/albums/s432/herder79/