product safety probiotic spray?

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

paperheartz

Post by paperheartz » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:33 am

i have this probiotic spray from all living things. i got it because it said it would prevent bactieria and stuff and it was for hermit crabs then realized i fell for the "lets smack a label and say its for hermit crabs to make money" thingso my question is; is this product safe or even neccessary? because now im not sure it even does anything at all. here is a picture of the front and back label and ingrediants.
http://imgur.com/R4ANMsD
http://imgur.com/YHq7Llu

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:07 pm

@paperheartz, I know exactly what your talking about as we have had a discussion on this very product some time ago and it was determined that the product though well intentioned really has no place in a hermitcrab enclosure.I don't remember seeing where we determined that it was unsafe just that it was not that beneficial.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

paperheartz

Post by paperheartz » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi, really really sorry for responding so late. There's been alot going on. Just wanted to let you know I appreciate the response and I haven't used it for months. Because I didn't want to use it until I asked. So thankyou. I'm going to throw it out now that I know. Thankyou.
Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:48 pm

No problem we all have life stuff get in the way.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:06 pm

If you keep your tank cleaned, it shouldn't smell. You will be removing waste , food & poop so you don't need to break it down and you deep clean once a year and if you leave some of the old substrate then your good to go. I giggled when I saw it.. I never saw anything like it before...wasn't laughing at you.. just the product..

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 am

From the research I've done on the product its supposed to introduce beneficial bacteria to the enclosure kind of like the starter bacteria for fish tanks which are supposed to instantly cycle the water making it safe for fish and live plants and while this works in theory not all products that claim to contain nitrifying bacteria actually do some manufacturers low grade unstable non-nitrifying bacterial strains which either can't live in water or don't last long after initial exposure.This is the same basic premise behind these pro-biotic sprays not all of them actually contain the right kind of healthy bacteria which means they wont work right or at all for hermitcrabs.One red flag I ran into while doing research on the specific bacterial strains used in these sprays most of the manufacturers don't list them on the bottle or even on their website because they know they are using a basic generic set of bacteria that are proven to be useful in humans and other mammals but may have no actually applicable use in crustaceans which means they know they are ripping their customers off but don't want anybody asking questions.
#Autism Speaks.