New Here and new to crabs!

Welcome to the Internet's oldest land hermit crab forum! This forum is for new member introductions and for introducing new additions to your crab colony ONLY.

TopSailGal23

Post by TopSailGal23 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi all! I got dooped by a gift shop display for hermit crabs during a family vacation. My kids cousins each got a crab and I was getting egged on by everyone to get some too. My husband was totally against the new family addition but we were both convinced after reading the care sheet that came with the other crabs that their care would be a piece of cake. We picked out a crab and got the deluxe package with the biggest cage.The next day we drove 14 hours home and everything was going fine. That first night home I got to see our little buddy change shells. Naturally I decided to ask google if I needed to do anything with his old shell. I learned shell changes are normal and that I basically had our new pet in a coffin. That brings us to the next day (today!) I just spent almost $100 to drastically improve our crabs life, including getting him a friend. I'm pretty annoyed with the gift shop for selling me way more than i bargained for. Plus, I may have found a little joy in breaking the news to the other family members who talked us into the purchase! All in all, i think these guys are pretty neat, the kids named them Caption crabs and Bobby. I joined the forum to keep learning about these cool little creatures! So thank you for all the great information!

Zeblonite

Post by Zeblonite » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:59 am

That is so frustrating to be given bad information. I am glad you were able to find better info though and hope you will come to enjoy your crabs.
yup, it's me.

jenok

Post by jenok » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:12 am

Welcome! Don't feel too bad most (over 75%) of stores do the same thing so unless a person does some research online before hand they usually get duped into getting all the wrong stuff.

crazycrabber

Post by crazycrabber » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:40 am

welcome
experience comes from this: Harvey (tarantula), flanders (cat), 2 pp hermit crabs, (marshawn pinch, and richard shermit), smallstress house hamster(hamster), baron purplemoon (fish).
This signature is currently in violation of our five line maximum policy.

Topic author
Tongue Flicker

Post by Tongue Flicker » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:11 am

Welcome aboard!
Neil
" With great power comes great electricity bill... "