New to LHC

Welcome to the Internet's oldest land hermit crab forum! This forum is for new member introductions and for introducing new additions to your crab colony ONLY.

Ann E

New to LHC

Post by Ann E » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:45 am

Hello! My name is Ann. I have never been part of the LHC world, but was given 2 crabs as a "present" from someone who was well-meaning but very ignorant to the care, etc that would be needed for these creatures. I have been trying to do online research to gather as much information as possible to give these LHCs a good life, but am wondering what additional information I should know. Just in the 5 minutes I've spent looking around this forum, I've learned quite a bit and have seen some things that I am doing wrong. 1st of all, the 2 crabs that we acquired came to us in painted shells. I know now that these need to be switched out. Is there a great place to get new shells? Also, I am not sure that their crabitat is nearly as good as it could be. I am, of course, working within a small budget, but any suggestions on how to have a great crabitat are welcome! In fact, any suggestions in general would be greatly appreciated :-) Thanks in advance!

Topic author
Crabber85

New to LHC

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:12 am

@Ann E, first let me welcome you to the forum and the family here at LHC.com.We will be glad to help you answer any questions you may have as that is what we are here for.May I ask what size tank you have your crabs in?Are you using anything for heat?What kind of lid are you using?What kind of substrate are you using?I'll let you answer those questions and then either I or someone else will get back to you.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

jenok

New to LHC

Post by jenok » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:30 am

Welcome!If you look at the top of the zoea forum it has a large amount of info for first timers. There is also a list on how to setup a crabitat on a budget. And of course if you don't understand something or can't find an answer to it feel free to post any questions you have most should go under the LHC forum.

Tongue Flicker

New to LHC

Post by Tongue Flicker » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Hey ann welcome aboard!
Neil
" With great power comes great electricity bill... "

Ann E

New to LHC

Post by Ann E » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:01 am

@Crabber85 - thank you so much for your response! I apologize for the incredibly extended time getting back. 1. The tank we are using is a 10-gallon terra tank.2. The heat source is a heating pad. It is secured on the exterior back corner.3. The lid is a terrarium grate-type lid. I also have a blanket over this.4. I am using a coconut fiber substrate.Thank you!

Topic author
Crabber85

New to LHC

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:18 am

No worries we are all busy so theres no time frame to abide by.It sounds like you have a good starter tank going though you might want to add a dual thermometer/hydrometer gauge to keep accurate check of the temp and humidity in the enclosure and Glads Press and Seal or Saran wrap works a lot better than using a blanket and is pretty cheap.Just cover the top portion of the lid to about eighty percent leaving a small square open for fresh air exchange this helps to mitigate mold growth in the substrate and you should be good to go.If you have any more questions please feel free to ask as that is what we are here for.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Ann E

New to LHC

Post by Ann E » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:04 am

Excellent - love the Saran Wrap idea! I initially had put the blanket to keep the sun out of the tank in the summertime. It comes blazing in through our skylights in that room. Will definitely wrap the top like you said though - thanks!

Laurie LeAnn

New to LHC

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:59 pm

It won't hurt them to have in direct sunlight, they need day / time night rotation. Just so they tank doesn't get hot. My tank isn't by widows but Sun comes into them from across the room. I know how it is to. My son bought crabs then said here have them I'm going to college I don't want them. He had 2 in 5 gallon tank and I soon found out how wrong we were doing things it was a wonder they lived. I have 1 original crab from 2009 , my other 2 are about 2011I used to have 6 good sized but either my bully got to them after a molt or they died in molting. Now my 3 are living the life in huge 55 gal tank. Keep your eyes out at good wills, flea markets, garage sales, ask around for larger tank..You will be so much happier and so will your crabs. You have more room for things to put in to climb. Dollar tree is our buddy for fake plants, just don't get ones that have felt or things they can eat or pick at. Food bowls be shallow cat food bowls from there, water bowls the same, go up and down the aisle and say would this make a good water/ food bowl? Gladware is an other option to use. Just make sure they can get out of them. Corner shower caddy from wal Mart adds a second d level then find branch from pet shop to go up to it it chola wood.corner caddy in a 10 gl tank doesn't leave much room at the top though and if you don't have a proper lid you might have escapees lol! Crabs are a investment and at the beginning are $$ to get started but once you get it set up it tapers off. I doubt I spend 3$ a month on mine if that now. I feed them from I have at home in my frig & in the stock pile, I only change the substrate 1x a yr. I have enough decoration to 're do the tank several times. I have larger shells but no one wants to change.I can't find and med to large shells so they just have to suffer..you'll get the hang of it

Ann E

New to LHC

Post by Ann E » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:59 am

Thank you, Laurie! That was my concern, that the tank was getting way too hot in the sun. It isn't covered completely - it is just shielded so that the little guys don't roast.Thank you for all your suggestions!!