back to back molts - has this happened to you?

Where to post and/or get advice about your molting hermit crab(s). Includes pre-molting, molting, and post-molting issues.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:24 pm

One of my small/medium pp's came up from a molt 3 weeks ago and made a little underground cave a week after surfacing and started hanging out in there. Then he came up after a week or so, and I moved him to the main tank a few days ago and he is buried again. Could he be molting again so soon? I checked on him after he surfaced and he looked great, all legs and everything looked intact and complete, so I can't figure out why he would need to molt again. Anybody else had unexplained back to back molts like this?

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:41 pm

I had one true back-to-back molt last year, with one of my small crabs. He'd had no problems, the first molt went great, and then a week later he went down again for a second molt. He was fairly new with me at the time, so I can only assume that he needed to play a lot of catch-up growing, especially since he was so small.He's doing fine now, but it was worrisome at the time.
~ crabbing since 2003

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:58 am

Yes it has happened to me, but just because they bury themselves again doesn't have to mean that they are molting again. They are probably just chillen, lolSandra

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:31 pm

I have had back to back molts, especially if they are teeny to small.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:18 am

I have had that with my small and medium crabs... just be extra careful to keep conditions good, since they will be stressed for that much more time without having a good long time to relax... or like sandra said,he may just be chillaxin' down there