Attack on Main Tank Molter - Pic

Where to post and/or get advice about your molting hermit crab(s). Includes pre-molting, molting, and post-molting issues.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:12 am

This is my Hubby's Indo. He let him do a main tank molt and I guess he was dug up by another crab that desided to eat his big pincher while he was still soft. It looks awful. I found him in the main tank all pink and soft so I iso'd him for 2 weeks and now he's doing great So when do you think that it would be safe to put him back in the main tank again? He's getting tired of the KK, lol Poor Guy, this is why "I" always iso my molters... I want to bathe him and put him back in but I wonder if he'll be ok?? What do you think??

Topic author
moire_eel

Post by moire_eel » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:40 pm

I can't belive that happened! I never iso molters, and have never had an incident like that. But I can't really think of another explanation for a wound like that. Do you you have any suspects as far as the attacker is concerned? If the wound is closed and he's moving about and eating, I would imagine that there's not a lot of reason to wait if you plan to put him back in the main tank. But this is an area in which I have little experience. The few times I have had a crab recover from a molt in iso, I have put them back as quickly as possible because I think that iso stresses them more than finding their own hidey-hole in the main tank. I don't even bathe them then, and I've never had an issue.

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:01 pm

Aw, I'm so sorry about the poor guy! I hope he doesn't drop the BP. I always ISO mine too; I've had a postmolter's leg ripped off and it only confirmed why I don't trust certain crabs.IMHO, I would keep him in ISO just a little longer. Unless you can place him in a play area with some other crabs and see how he does, and how they react to him. Has he been trying to soak his BP in salt water at all? I wonder how you can tell if he's completely OK as far as the hurt area.Keep us posted. Give him a *HUG* and some healing vibes from me.
~ crabbing since 2003

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:35 am

Thanks guys, I think I'll take your advice Nicole and wait a little while longer just to be safe. Yes he has been soaking it in salt water and rinseing it over and over again. I feel so sorry for him, I wish there was more I could do.Sandra

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:01 pm

Sandra, maybe Gertie would know something you could do for him; try PMing her. I am thinking that if he is still soaking the BP in the salt water it may not be healed yet, which could make him a target (again) in the main tank. Let us know if you hear of anything to help him.
~ crabbing since 2003

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:31 am

I'll keep you posted, I was so worried about his BP that I didn't even notice he is missing a back leg on his BP side. I put him in my 20 Gal long tank (post iso) this morning after a little dunk in a salt bath and I noticed his back leg is gone did any of you notice this?? He is very active, eating, drinking and playing so I will give him a few weeks in the post iso with one of my tiny Ruggie's so he's not be himself. And I will go from there. Edited: Here is how he turned out after his next molt