chirping during molt?

Where to post and/or get advice about your molting hermit crab(s). Includes pre-molting, molting, and post-molting issues.

Topic author

chirping during molt?

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:11 am

One of my crabs was soooo noisy last night! Lots of chirping and scraping at the bottom of glass tank. I peeked because I was worried he might be eating teh other molting crab or something. He seemed fine; wayyyy out of his shell. Is the noise a sign that he might be molting soon? They have both been down for 10 days now.

Crabby Abby

chirping during molt?

Post by Crabby Abby » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:45 am

You had a crab chirping underground? Really? Not that it can't happen, just haven't heard of it before.Sometimes they chirp for no obvious reason but I understand they mostly chirp when someone/thing's bugging them. Are your crabs close together?
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.

Topic author

chirping during molt?

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:52 am

yes, they are about 1 1/2 inches away from each other. The other one is mostly in his shell, but I know he's alive. It was really weird... I was watching TV and actually heard the little guy over the sound of the TV. I had ti hit the mute button to make sure I wasn't hearing things.Should I be concerned that soemthing is bothering the little guy?

Topic author
Willow

chirping during molt?

Post by Willow » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:55 pm

Chirping usually means something's wrong, although I suppose some crabs just like to hear themselves talk. Are you sure it wasn't just his legs scraping on the glass? That can make a squeaky noise that sounds like chirping. If you're sure the 2 crabbies aren't bothering each other, don't worry, but do keep an eye on things to make sure they don't get too close.

Nicole

chirping during molt?

Post by Nicole » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:08 pm

I have one crab that likes to chirp when he's down for a molt. Not incessantly, but I do hear it several times when he's down. I always check for problems but can never find any.If you can keep an eye on your crabs and can see them clearly since they are so closely buried, I would just leave them alone at this point. If the chirping becomes more and more frequent or lasts longer, let us know.
~ crabbing since 2003