Surface molt help?

Where to post and/or get advice about your molting hermit crab(s). Includes pre-molting, molting, and post-molting issues.

Topic author
ahic1921

Surface molt help?

Post by ahic1921 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:14 am

I am new to hermit crabs and only had them a couple of months. This morning I woke up to find that one of my crabs has climbed on top of a climbing toy I made out of a coconut fiber rolled up and is not moving. I can see him twitch so I think he might be molting. I use eco earth and its plenty deep enough for him so I don't know why he would do it up there? My question is I have read mixed things on moving the crab to a iso tank after they start the molting process, so I don't know what I should do? I cut a plastic water bottle that is around him so the other crabs cannot make it to him but I don't feel like that's enough. also I do have a small plastic 5 gal tank but no heater for it, at the moment don't have the money to purchase one so any tips on how to keep that warm if I do move him.

jenok

Surface molt help?

Post by jenok » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:44 am

Could you please copy and answer these questions so we can help you better. tank questionsFor now the bottle method is fine. IS your crab a different color than usual? It might also be suffering from PPS (post purchase stress) and that means it might not make it. After answering the questions we'll get back with you on how to better care for it.

Topic author
ahic1921

Surface molt help?

Post by ahic1921 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:04 am

IS your crab a different color than usual?Yes he is a little darker than usual

jenok

Surface molt help?

Post by jenok » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:22 am

If its "up" still I would carefully move it down to the ground level. Provide some water and food like mashed banana, organic peanut butter, or organic raw honey just make sure there's not enough for it to get stuck in. Try to make it darker and quiet is the best info I can give without knowing the answers to the questions in the previous response. Unfortunately I won't be on here again for a few days but someone else should comment.

Topic author
ahic1921

Surface molt help?

Post by ahic1921 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:46 pm

1) How long have you had your crabs and how long have you been caring for this particular crab in distress?About two months and the distressed crab just today2) What size is your tank and what kind of lid do you have? 20 gallon screen lid with acrylic glass on top of 3/4ths of it 3) What are you using for heat? Please be specific and include fixture type, watt or mat size and where the heat source is mounted.Ceramic heat bulb with 75 watt bulb. On top of the screen on right side of tank 4) What kind of substrate do you use in your tank and at what depth? Is it dry or damp and sand castle consistency?Eco earth about 6 inches it is damp 5) Do you dechlorinate your fresh water and if so, with what product? Do you offer aquarium salt water in addition to fresh water? Again, what product?I use a dechlorinate my fresh water and also aquarium salt 6) What do you normally feed your crabs?Fresh fruit,mealworms, some Vegtables 7) Do you bathe, mist or handle your crabs at all?I do not handle or bathe them but I do mist daily 8) What are the temperature and humidity readings? Please be specific and include high low fluctuations if you're aware of them High on heat at 80 low around 72 humidity high 80 low 60

Crabber85

Surface molt help?

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:54 pm

After reveiwing your info I don't think the crab in question is in molt or even pre-molt.Do you notice a smell like Iodine if so that is a good indication that the crab is getting ready to molt as that is the smell of the molt inducing hormone being secreted by the crab to start the process.The crab wasn't directly under the heat lamp was he?I'm thinking the crab got cold and just decided to move closer to the heat source which is completely common.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
ahic1921

Surface molt help?

Post by ahic1921 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:49 am

After staying that way for about two days he started moving agian. The side he was on was away from the heat source

Topic author
ahic1921

Surface molt help?

Post by ahic1921 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:50 am

And no I don't smell anything

Tetra4CClyPtus

Surface molt help?

Post by Tetra4CClyPtus » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:50 am

**If you can have a very roomy spot under a big hide, you can easily block off the crab until full recovery, make sure it has proper food and water**2. Rinse off the cabs shredded exo in saltwater, then place exo in a bowl.Add bowl to ISO put crab in the exo bowl3. Make it dark, crabs need darkness to finish the molt, put the crab and its exo under a hut or put the ISO under a blanket4. Keep the ISO's conditions the same as your main tank5. When the crab hardens and finished eating his exo you can feed him normal foods again 6. Wait until he crab changes shells, is very active, climbs, and baths before reintroducing him to the rest of the craabbiesYou should feed your molting crab...Powered cuttleboneHCP mineral blendCalcium blockShrimpFreeze dried bugs (powered)Worm castingsCrushed oyster shellsCoralCrushed shellsHCP food and treat*****Try to make all food powdered, this is easier for a weak crab to eat!HCP is the hermit crab patch You can get the powder and crushed supplements there.Ahick1 Your crab is darker, GOOD !You don't want your crabs color getting lighter. Also the hermit crab patch has color supplements For enhancing exo color. The indo and strawberry color supplements . But they work fine for purple pinchers.

Crabber85

Surface molt help?

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:43 am

Hermitcrabs do this from time to time they will find a comfy place and curl up and go to sleep and will be this way for a couple of days.Typically when this happens its because the crab was tired or stressed and just need to rest.The fact that its up moving now suggests to me even more that the crab was just resting.Just keep an eye on it for the next couple of days and if you notice it bury down then it might be going down to molt.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Tetra4CClyPtus

Surface molt help?

Post by Tetra4CClyPtus » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:50 am

Keep us updated