What should I look for

Where to post and/or get advice about your molting hermit crab(s). Includes pre-molting, molting, and post-molting issues.

Superman&Roger

What should I look for

Post by Superman&Roger » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:43 pm

Hey all, I've posted before. I just have a quick question. I'm pretty sure my one crab (Superman) dug up my other crab (Roger). SM has been digging a lot since he came up. I think he just kind of stumbled on Roger. Roger has been down for about 6-7 weeks. Their past molts were all about 8 weeks. SM has been up from his molt for about 2 weeks. Roger went down about 2 weeks after him. So I was expecting Roger to come up anytime in the next week or so. Right now he is tucked under a plastic plant in the tank, like he's sleeping. He's in his shell. SM did the exact same thing (in the exact same spot--oddly coincidental). My question is how stressful would being forced up a week or so early be for Roger? Thanks in advance for any advice! 1) I've had my 2 foster crabs for about 18 months (I guess that means they're staying). 2) I have a 20 gallon reptile tank. 3) I have 3 under tank heaters on the sides of the tank--a 4 watt, 8 watt and 25 watt. the 4 and 8 watt are on either side of the tank and the 25 watt is on the back. (I am upgrading the smaller ones for winter--was just waiting for the molt to end.) 4) I use coir. About 6" deep. It is damp.5) Yes I de-chlorinate with Crabworx Water Conditioner. I also offer salt water. The product is Fluvial Sea. 6) They get a protein every day (chicken, egg, beef, fish, dried bloodworms, dried brine shrimp). They also get some type of fresh produce every day. Once a week I put in a dried oak leaf that I collected from my yard in the fall. I sometimes sprinkle on crab variety bites (also a Crabworx product that they seem to like) They have access to a calcium block which I swap out frequently. 7) I don't mist the crabs directly, but I do mist the sides of the tank daily. I don't bathe the crabs--both water dishes are deep enough for them immerse themselves. No, I don't handle them--we talk.8) The temp in the tank is usually between 75-80. I cover the tank with a towel at night to keep it from losing heat at night when the house is cooler. My hygrometer says the humidity is 100%, though I am not quite sure how accurate that is. When I put my hand in, the tank feels warm and tropical.

Topic author
Crabber85

What should I look for

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:37 am

@Superman&Roger, a hermitcrab who has been disturbed and then forced up near the end of a molt will generally be a lot paler in color, wont swell up as big and will ultimately end up going back down sooner than expected.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Superman&Roger

What should I look for

Post by Superman&Roger » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:25 pm

Thanks. I think Roger is doing okay. Doesn't look pale at all--fairly vibrant orangey-red compared to normal. He's out and about today, moving around, checking out new shells.Superman still won't change out of his manky old ladybug shell. On the upside there is very little paint left on it (I pick up any flakes that come off). I bought them lovely new shells while on vacation to add to the ones already in the tank and he isn't even tempted. Stubborn! This is his 3rd or 4th molt in the same shell. Roger on the other hand is all about the wardrobe--he's always trying on different shells. Odd little creatures!

Topic author
Crabber85

What should I look for

Post by Crabber85 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:31 am

@Superman&Roger, some hermitcrabs are just really stubborn and just wont switch shells until they finally just can not fit into the old one anymore.The problem with hermitcrabs who are sold in painted shells is that the crabs are often times forced into the shells before the paint has dried and just as often the paint has been allowed to drip down into the shell so when the crab is placed in the shell its literally painted in and can not change shells as a result.Hermitcrabs who are painted in can not change shells and often times fail to molt since they are incapable of shedding the old exo properly due to the way they are stuck to the inside of the shell.Have you tried putting a couple drops of their salt water into the empty shells this can stimulate shells changes in stubborn hermits.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Superman&Roger

What should I look for

Post by Superman&Roger » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:17 pm

Yes, I actually take the shells out quite often, rinse them, and put them back in different areas. It does seem to generate interest, just never enough for SM to change. They are out of their original painted shells. When the crabs came to us, they only came with extra painted shells, so that's what we put in (until we knew better)and they molted and changed shells right away. Roger changed his shell again after a second molt so we were able to take out his old painted shell. SM hasn't changed since that first molt--which was about 14 months ago. He's just very stubborn. He has lots of choices. He and Roger are about the same size (Roger might be a teeny bit smaller). I bought some really nice natural shells over the summer which are quite a bit lighter than the other natural shells, I thought the weight might be the problem, but no...he still won't give it up. I've done all I can for him. Thanks for the info!

jenok

What should I look for

Post by jenok » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:38 am

It took me awhile but I found this and it may help you with your shells. I will also post this in the LHC forum for other newbies to look at.Prefered crab shells