About Molting

Where to post and/or get advice about your molting hermit crab(s). Includes pre-molting, molting, and post-molting issues.

About Molting

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:45 am

Could someone please help! My crab has just molted!

Topic author
Geranium

About Molting

Post by Geranium » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:59 am

How do you know? Was it a surface molt? Need more details. Basically though, leave the crab alone, give it quiet and dim surroundings, warm and humid (higher range of good heat and humidity is important). It will eat its exoskeleton, recover and then will want to move around and eat and drink. It is very vulnerable right now so should not be with other crabs but should also aboid being moved. If it is a surface molt either move any other crabs out or use a 2 liter pop bottle with the end cut off to create an isolation area for him. You want to make sure no one can get to him. If he is under, leave him alone, he will come up on his own. If you uncovered him/dug him up, do not re-cover him but leave him alone and do as above for a surface molt.It would also help if you answered the questionaire I including in my response to the post you made last night.

Crabber85

About Molting

Post by Crabber85 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:02 am

@Sheldon, It would really help us if you would take the time to copy and paste the questionnaire found here.As for your question if you have other crabs in with the molted crab then they need to be moved if the molter is on the surface or exposed to the other tank mates.You really do need to keep the enclosure dimly lit, keep the humidity and temp at 80 to make it easier for the molted crab to recover.The crab wont be interested in eating anything until it has sufficiently hardened which wont be for at least another week.Once the crab has hardened up enough to move then it will begin to go after food and water so make sure to have plenty of proteins and calcium available.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

About Molting

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:06 am

Thanks For the advice Geranium and Crabber85!

About Molting

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:10 am

posted 02 April 2009 07:42 AMHello members, this is just a short questionnaire for you to copy and paste into your first ISO Forum post so that we can assist you with your crab(s) as quickly as possible. 1) How long have you had your crabs and how long have you been caring for this particular crab in distress? Well about 6 weeks now.2) What size is your tank and what kind of lid do you have? It is a Twenty low aquarium with a glass lid.3) What are you using for heat? Please be specific and include fixture type, watt or mat size and where the heat source is mounted. An under-tank heater and reptile heat rock.4) What kind of substrate do you use in your tank and at what depth? Is it dry or damp and sand castle consistency? Econ-Earth and regular play sand separate.5) Do you dechlorinate your fresh water and if so, with what product? Do you offer aquarium salt water in addition to fresh water? Again, what product? We do not have tap water but pure well water, and yes I offer salt water.6) What do you normally feed your crabs? Carrot with grape and a piece of fresh water trout mixed with commercial crab food. 7) Do you bathe, mist or handle your crabs at all? Yes I handle them sometimes but do mist them every now and then.8) What are the temperature and humidity readings? Please be specific and include high low fluctuations if you're aware of them. 78 degrees Fahrenheit, and 79 percent humidity. Thanks guys!

About Molting

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:22 am

My crab is better now!

Topic author
Geranium

About Molting

Post by Geranium » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:59 pm

Glad your crab is doing better.A few concerns. First, is your UTH under the tank? It really needs to be side/back mounted. For both safety and effective heating of the enclosure.The reptile heat rock. Do you have it somehow enclosed so the crab cannot get to it? It could cause serious burns because crabs can't feel heat the same way we do and can do damage without knowing it.You did not mention the depth of your substrate. It needs to be twice as deep as your largest crab is tall but a minimum of 6 inches is recommended. Thus why the UTH can't be bottom mounted. The EE and playsand are good options. I have mine separated as well but there is some concern about that because of the ph of the EE being too acidic. If the sub is not deep enough, that may be part of why the crab in question surface molted.Hermit crabs need a variety of foods to be healthy. Most commercial foods are a problem because of ingredients which are dangerous. If you got it from a reputable online hermit crab store (like the Hermit Crab Patch or the HC Addiction store), you're fine otherwise check the ingredients and post them here so those who can remember the names properly can advise. I know them when I see them but cannot pull them out of my memory. A good source for fresh food ideas is at the top of the Zoea section here and here. Misting the tank is fine but try to avoid misting the crabs themselves. It causes them stress and right now with all that has gone on with this crab, avoiding stress would be wise.

About Molting

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:40 am

thanks everybody the case is closed!