Just Not Sure!

Where to post and/or get advice about your molting hermit crab(s). Includes pre-molting, molting, and post-molting issues.

boundri5

Just Not Sure!

Post by boundri5 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:12 am

I purchased a new hermit crab about 3 weeks ago. The day after i brought it home, it changed shells and hasn't moved since! It hasn't eaten anything. There is NO smell and it is light pink in color. I just need to know what to do.

Topic author
Crabber85

Just Not Sure!

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:41 am

@boundri5, hermitcrabs go through so much to get to us from the time they are harvested till they are sold from the store and the whole process can take several weeks to a few months to be completed and in all that time they are forced to live in overcrowded conditions, receive little to no care even food and water which causes stress and you combine that with the overcrowded conditions the crabs have had to postpone molting that entire time.Because hermitcrabs are so stressed and in need of molt when they finally get to us we recommend doing a one month hands off time where we only change out the food and water on a regular basis and nothing else.This will allow the crab to de-stress and molt if need be without being constantly disturbed.We need you to copy and post the questions found here so that we can help you as without this info we can't really tell whats going that could have caused the crab to act in the manner in which you have observed it.Thanks the staff.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

jenok

Just Not Sure!

Post by jenok » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:33 am

Answering the questions would be a big help. However it is possible that your crab has already molted on the surface since you said it is pinkish in color. Give it awhile longer and it'll be moving around looking for food and water. Organic honey, boiled egg, and fresh organic fruits and veggies will be the best to offer for food.