Regeneration Molts

Where to post and/or get advice about your molting hermit crab(s). Includes pre-molting, molting, and post-molting issues.

Topic author
saberkitty

Regeneration Molts

Post by saberkitty » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:51 am

The large PP I got June 6 missing it's big pincher has a gel limb! This crab's been buried for about 3 weeks and now I can see a gel limb when I check it from underneath, maybe about the size of a pea. How long after the gel limb forms could it possibly take for the crab to shed and molt? I'm just super anxious to see how this turns out after tiny little Diddley's regrowth of his big pincher!

Nicole

Regeneration Molts

Post by Nicole » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:28 pm

Regeneration molts take longer than 'regular' molts on average. A large guy on his first post-purchase molt with limbs to regenerate may be under at least 6 weeks or more before molting. The gel limb can form weeks before the crab wants to molt (when he's still above ground) or it can form only after the crab goes under. BPs can take two or three molts to become normal-sized, too, after being dropped. Good luck to the big guy - keep us posted!
~ crabbing since 2003

Topic author
saberkitty

Regeneration Molts

Post by saberkitty » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:28 am

Hi CA! Don't feel bad, I had to look back and see which crab it was about! This was about Scampi, who just after that molted, went in the main tank a couple weeks after, and is doing just great! Here is a more recent photo, you can kind of see that the bp isn't as large as it should be, but it will get there!