Homeade molting cave

Where to post and/or get advice about your molting hermit crab(s). Includes pre-molting, molting, and post-molting issues.

Tonys Hermits

Homeade molting cave

Post by Tonys Hermits » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:28 am

I found my crab molting so I made a pit into the substrate put a tupperware cover on top and camoflauged it with substrae and put moss on top does any one know if hes going to survive I put his exo with him so he can eat it

Topic author
Geranium

Homeade molting cave

Post by Geranium » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:11 am

No guarantees he will survive being disturbed while molting but the following will give him the best chance.Keep things dim, warm, humid and quiet. You can cover the tank 3/4 with a towel. Leave him alone. If I remember correctly he is an only, correct? If not you will need to protect him from the others. I would move them to another tank. Leave his exo in with him, he needs to eat that!Once he is moving around, give food as usual. They seem to like easy quick energy foods right after molting. Things like organic honey, mashed banana, calcium sources (pulverized cuttlebone, etc) and shellfish, particularly shrimp.

jenok

Homeade molting cave

Post by jenok » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:46 am

Don't forget water. It doesn't take long for them to harden and start moving around. If it was already hardened when you found it, it will have a better chance.