2 down need help

Where to post and/or get advice about your molting hermit crab(s). Includes pre-molting, molting, and post-molting issues.

Topic author
Miko

2 down need help

Post by Miko » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:15 pm

ok so i got a new 67g tank and was able to move 3 over once i got it set up the day i had 2 down for i think over a month and they are small, my med E went down 2 days before i got the tank set up...you still with me?? lol my E just came up yesterday from a full molt (pretty orange color) and im still waiting on on the other 2 to come up... my 20g tank has been on my table about 3 weeks and i need my table back but have no where else to put it....do you think it would be ok to start digging for them?? so i can get rid of the 20g?i was going to give them till the end of the week.
5PP's and 1E, 67g Tank. 1Dog and a kid!!

Geranium

2 down need help

Post by Geranium » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:38 am

Tough decision! I am generally opposed to digging but understand the need to get things settled. Do you have two ISO tanks or one that can be split available in case you need them if you find crabs in need? I would have them up and ready, warm, humid, depression dug and hide to cover with all set and hope you won't need them. Or 20 gallon as a table center piece! Could be fun!

jenok

2 down need help

Post by jenok » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:25 am

A little confused here how long have the small crabs been down? It is possible they didn't make it.If you have to you could slowly/carefully scoop a little dirt out at a time until you find them, but like geranium said if they are alive and haven't completely hardened and ate the exo you will have to keep them separate from the others until they do. So you will still need a least a small tank setup for that purpose in case.

Topic author
Miko

2 down need help

Post by Miko » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:17 pm

i have a 10g iso.the small ones have been down for almost 2 months now. i wish i could keep the 20g on my table but i just dont have the room, and my hubby is rushing this as well he understands and had learned alot from me with the crabs it just my daughter has to eat dinner in her room.....cuz we dont have the room on the table and we have a dog..

jenok

2 down need help

Post by jenok » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:04 am

If it has been a full 2 months then I would probably go looking for them. My crabs which are a bit larger than yours judging by pics only take 2 months. On a side note looking at your pics have you removed the sponge from the water and tried to get them all into natural shells?

Topic author
Miko

2 down need help

Post by Miko » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:25 am

i got rid of the sponge alot time ago lol i got to get more updated pics and show off my new tank

jenok

2 down need help

Post by jenok » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:55 am

Yeah, then I won't have to ask you each time about your tank. Did you go looking this weekend and if so were they still alive?

Topic author
Miko

2 down need help

Post by Miko » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:34 am

so i got a lot of the sand out and still did find them got bizzy so they had some extra time... i went in yesterday and found an empty shell and a big claw and part of a leg all near the shell... so i lost one crab..idk how that happened i didnt find a body.. but i did find goku most of his exo was gone but i put him in my 10g and put a towel over it and i check on him offten as i put him in a coco hut, i have a crab down in iso that i bought on jan. 1st im waiting on her to come up so i can move her in to the big tank as well she came up and went back down... she was down for a month be4 she came up and she has been down since then for 17 days...