E without a shell

Where to post and/or get advice if your hermit crab has dropped its seashell. If your crab has molted AND gone naked, please post in the Molting forum.

Topic author
Geranium

E without a shell

Post by Geranium » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:14 am

I just found Tink (small E) without her shell in a scuffle with Aurora (tiny E). I moved all the decor and Aurora and put Tink's shell filled with salt water next to her. I then got the ISO set up for her. In that time she reshelled and I moved her to ISO. She is missing one of her claws but not the leg attached to it and it looks like all of her leg tips are gone too. I think I have a handle on what to do but remind me in case in my panic I missed something! Thanks.

Crabber85

E without a shell

Post by Crabber85 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:47 am

@Geranium, doing everything that you can do in this situation.I have E's as well and as this species is notorious for ditiching shells mid-resurfacing I have to keep a ton of light appropriately fitting shells on the ground at all times so that when mine do come up shelless they can quickly and easily re-shell.If I've read your post right it sounds like your streaker likely dropped the shell and was subsequently attacked having no protection.Being that the leg tips and one of the pinchers are missing it sounds like the intended victim turned on the aggressor in self defence.Missing leg tips, legs and pinchers is an indication that the crab was attacked and easily could have become the victim of cannibalism.I would recommmed feeding some raw or organic honey in addition to some raw whole shrimp and maybe some mushed orgainc bananas these foods should help to boost the crabs immune system and help it to recover much faster.Being that the crab has been injured the injuries may stimulate the crab to molt again in the next few days to a couple of weeks so be prepared.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Geranium

E without a shell

Post by Geranium » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:22 pm

Thanks! I had forgotten about the shrimp and the banana. Always good to check in.