Help:(

Where to post and/or get advice regarding ill hermit crab(s) that are NOT molting, streaking or dropping legs.

lovemycrabbies

Post by lovemycrabbies » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:46 am

Im afraid Carolina is not going to make it Im not sure why either. When I first got her she was very energetic and outgoing, but recently she has become more and more lethargic and unresponsive. She is very weak too I cannot ISO her because I cannot properly control the environment in an ISO tanks atm, so she is in with the rest of the crabs, but they dont seem to notice her or bother her at all. Help?1) How long have you had your crabs and how long have you been caring for this particular crab in distress? I have had my crabs for about 4 months. Carolina for a little over a month2) What size is your tank and what kind of lid do you have? 10g with a regular aquarium lid.3) What are you using for heat? Please be specific and include fixture type, watt or mat size and where the heat source is mounted. I did not have anything and the temp was staying around 72 degrees... I was in the process of getting a UTH. Now I have a 40 watt pointing at the tank.4) What kind of substrate do you use in your tank and at what depth? Is it dry or damp and sand castle consistency? I use sand. it is about 6inches deep and sand castle consistency.5) Do you dechlorinate your fresh water and if so, with what product? Do you offer aquarium salt water in addition to fresh water? Again, what product? I use distilled water. For salt water I add HBH Hermit crab salt.6) What do you normally feed your crabs? Lots of fruits and veggies, noodles, chicken.7) Do you bathe, mist or handle your crabs at all? I have given them one bath. I mist the tank when it needs it.8) What are the temperature and humidity readings? Currently both at 81 degrees.
75 Gallon
3 coenobita clypeatus & 2 coenobita compressus

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:42 am

Has the crab in question molted with you before because this sounds like PPS or post purchase stress which can effect hermitcrabs until they have had their first molt with us and even in some rarer instances after that.Your temps sound like they have been staying a bit low as anything below seventy-five is suboptimal and can have negative impacts on your hermitcrabs.What you need to do now is put some raw or oganic honey in a bottle cap next to the hermitcrab and see if she will take it if she does it will help inprove her odds of recovering.Have you noticed any signs such as ashy exo or confused/crossed antennas?Being sluggish and having a lack of an appetite can also mean she is pre-molt and about to pull a surface/topside molt.You might want to think about replacing the HBH salt as it's not strong enough when mixed to the bottles directions instead you need 4 table spoons for a half gallon of water or 8 table spoons for a gallon to make the right concentration which means you'll be using the entire bottle in one or two uses.Instant Ocean, Oceanic and Red Sea marine aquarium salts are much cheaper in the long run and will last you a lot longer than the bottle of HBH.You can get a box of Instant Ocean at Pet-smart, Petco or Pets-plus for around ten dollars which will make ten gallons of water and will last you for a very long time.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

lovemycrabbies

Post by lovemycrabbies » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:43 am

No, she has not molted with me yet. Her exoskeleton is not ashy at all; it is a beautiful dark tan/light brown color. Her antennas have not been doing much at all. I set a piece of a banana by her, but ill go get the honey right now. Thanks for the info on the salt water; I will get that fixed in the next few days! I really hope she is just about to molt topside, but she really has not shown any of the signs except for the lethargy:/
75 Gallon

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Since she's not displaying any of the pre-molt signs she may in-deed be suffering from stress which can impact overall health including appetite and activity level.The best thing you can do right now is to keep her comfortable and if you can minimize the lighting and noise as this will help to reduce any more stress and increase her odds of recovery.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

lovemycrabbies

Post by lovemycrabbies » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:16 am

unfortunately she passed away on friday
75 Gallon

Theodora

Post by Theodora » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:05 am

Ohhhh. I am so sorry I know what its like to lose a crab