BIG EMERGENCY!! MUST READ!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:38 pm

my temperature is 100 degrees farenheit and I need it to be lowered as soon as possible. I tried exchanging my humidity's hot water for freezing cold water, but that only got about 2 degrees away. i put a mini fan, that didn't work . I accept responces from everyone!! so if you see this, Please Answer!
Last edited by bbcraft22 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

hermitcrablover1

Re: BIG EMERGENCY!! MUST READ!

Post by hermitcrablover1 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi! I am sorry to hear about your heat. 100 degrees must feel awful. Maybe you could try putting some ice in plastic bags and place them against the outside of the glass tank above the substrate and possibly on top of the lid. Just watch the temperature closely. Hope this helps.

MsWorld

Post by MsWorld » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:56 pm

Open the lids up and blow a fan in. Spray everything with cold water.

Bobbi in Cincinnati - with my 13 hermit crabs, 1 bearded dragon - Sir Wallace and 5 rescue cats!!

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:11 pm

I trust all your heating elements are cut off. Hopefully they've dug down and it's cooler underneath!

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:07 pm

Hello.

What type of thermometer do you have? Digital or analog?

What is the current temperature in your home?

Do you currently have a heat source on?

IF THIS IS NOT A THERMOMETER MALFUNCTION AND YOU HAVE ALREADY DISCONNECTED ALL HEAT SOURCES:

Aim a fan at your tank, and place frozen bottles of water inside the tank.

The crabs will bury in the substrate if they are too hot on the surface. The moist sub should be cooler than the air in the tank.

The highest the temps vet where PP's are from is the low 90's. E's can withstand a bit warmer but you definitely don't want them to be close to 100°F for an extended period of time.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Topic author
bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:07 am

sorry, I couldn't read any of your helpful advice. My hermit crabs are very well now, and they lived. :crabsmile:
Last edited by bbcraft22 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

Cortnilin

Post by Cortnilin » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:46 am

Are you using a diy humidifier? Vaporizer maybe? What would you be using for humidity that requires hot water?

Sent hastily from my iPhone....

Topic author
bbcraft22

uhhhh... Party?

Post by bbcraft22 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:19 am

now when I woke up, I saw both of the water bowls are out of place with no water in it (possibly evaporation) and there was a deep whole but no hermit crabs were digging. All of my hermit crabs were in their shell when I came down to check. They are all at the surface. It looks as if they just had a party. Also, the food bowl is full of substrate and the "I'm crabby" sign is tipped over.

Cortnilin

Post by Cortnilin » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:40 am

That is a good sign I would think. glad they all made it. Do you know what caused the spike in temp? Sorry I am not very helpful, I am newer to this forum and hesitate to pass out advice. However, if you know what caused the spike, we may be able to prevent it from happening again.

Sent hastily from my iPhone....

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:59 am

bbcraft22 wrote:sorry, I couldn't read any of your helpful advice. My hermit crabs are very sick now, but they lived. :crabcry:
You weren't able to read responses to your post???

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:00 pm

Could you fill out the emergency template please?

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=46102

Topic author
bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:38 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
a mix of eco earth and sand.
2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
the tank gauges are located in the middle. Usually the temp. is 84 F and the humidity is 82
3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
a side heat lamp

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
fresh and salt. I use aquarium salt.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I have a fresh foods bowl and that is replaced daily. I also have a hermit crab food bowl with non-pelleted food along with omega one shrimp.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
almost a month.
7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
never.
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
10 gallon, the lid is a lid with breathing holes.
9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
3. One is a medium-small(Bob), a medium (Shelly), and a medium-large (Fred).
10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
usually 7.
11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no.
12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
every month. I rinse everything with non chlorinated water and refill the subtrate
13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
no.
14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
no. Just more (none painted) shells from Point Pleasent.
15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
yes. I usually play with my hermit crabs, Bob mostly, because he trusts me and will willingly walk on my hand and play with me.
16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
The temperature is extremely high and I don't know (before) how to lower it.
HCADirectors

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:21 pm

Hi! Thanks for answering.

Do you have digital or analog gauges?

Do not use the heat lamp if you think your crabs are at risk of overheating.

Aquarium salt is not the type you're wanting unless it is specifically for setting up marine/reef (oceanwater) tanks. Aquarium salt for freshwater fish usually comes in a blue and white milk carton style box.

Instant Ocean is what most of us use because it is easy to find and use. It provides over 70 elements that they would normally get from seawater in their natural habitat.

I would suggest upgrading your tank when you can. 3 crabs of medium to large size will be pretty cramped in a 10 gallon.

It is not necessary to remove substrate or replace it when you clean the tank. Beneficial microbes and bacteria build up and add to the overall health of the habitat and aid in breaking down waste.

Each crab needs 3-5 extra shells minimum.

Crabs are generally a hands off pet, especially if they have not molted in your care yet. When we handle them, they become stressed out and see us as predators.

While some crabs do become accustomed to us, which I believe is a response due to them recognizing that we provide the food.

If you don't have a digital gauge, an Acurite from Walmart is around $10. I crab on a budget and I know how difficult it can be to scrape up extra money at times but analog gauges are notoriously inaccurate and can be "shocked" when dropped or moved roughly during shipping.

Try placing frozen bottles of water in the tank and aiming a fan towards it if the temp is over 94-95°.

Providing them with pools deep enough to submerge in (both dechlorinated, one salt and one fresh) is also essential.

I hope you are able to get this sorted!