Is rubber bad for hermit crabs

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
EOD-Crab

Post by EOD-Crab » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:38 am

I am having some difficulty water sealing my new tank construction. I have a fiberglass resin and silicon but water still leaks. I know plasti dip will work, a spray on rubber, but is it harmful for crabs. It would only be on the bottom 2-3 inches of the 9 inch sub.

Cortnilin

Post by Cortnilin » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:23 am

Plasti-dip is popular in the fish aquarium world. Many people use it on the inside and outside of their tanks to create backgrounds or cover hoses...it can hold up to inclement weather with no problem so I think you'd be safe there. My only real worry would be your crabs picking at it or eating it. IMO, plasti-dip is great (my husband and I use it for our vehicles) until it is nicked. Once that happens, it's only a matter of time before it peals off and it needs re-applied. It is made to be removable, so I personally would not trust it to waterproof a tank.

Sent hastily from my iPhone....

soilentgringa

Re: Is rubber bad for hermit crabs

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:02 am

Aquarium safe silicone. I will find the product in a minute, but you have to use it before the crabs are in the tank and wait for the smell to be gone before you add them.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:45 pm

This aquarium silicone works very well and is easily available : http://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-2-8-oz-S ... p+aquarium
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:51 pm

Crabinski wrote:This aquarium silicone works very well and is easily available : http://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-2-8-oz-S ... p+aquarium
Thank you! My kid was outside screeching and I had to regulate. #momlife

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk