What to do if your hermit crab isn't eating

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
bbcraft22

What to do if your hermit crab isn't eating

Post by bbcraft22 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:08 pm

You're probably thinking "Help! My hermit crab doesn't seem to be eating!" Well, there is a way that he/she will eat.
What you have to do is hand feeding. You could feed them whatever they like, preferably apples, raisins or coconut chunks.

What you need to do is to hold them in the air, but near the ground. Hold the soft food near their claws. Be patient. It will take them a while. If they still won't eat the food, bring them closer to the floor.

Any questions? Ask me in a reply!
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

Cortnilin

Re: What to do if your hermit crab isn't eating

Post by Cortnilin » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:18 pm

In most situation the crabs are actually eating and they just may not eat enough to be noticeable to us. I'm sure there are times that hand feeding is appropriate, perhaps when they lose their feeder claw, when they are sick, or with hermit crabs that are not fearful of humans. However, it is not something to do simply bc they don't appear to put a dent in their food on any given day. Doing so would likely stress the crab out unnecessarily....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:59 pm

Cortnilin wrote: Doing so would likely stress the crab out unnecessarily....
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ok. Thanks for the feedback! But I meant when they have a serious injury.
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

Jedi Sena

Post by Jedi Sena » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:20 pm

A great way to see if they're eating on the sneaks (because they often prefer privacy) is to smooth out the substrate around the dish and then check for footprints in the morning. Also, sometimes they're eating substrate and tank decorations instead of the foods you're offering.
__ ` , ` , ` , ` , jedi sena
(__)_ ` , ` , ` , ` crabby since 2007
(____)_ ` , ` , ` , ` http://crabotanicals.etsy.com
(______) ` , ` , ` , ` owner of Crabotanicals all-natural hermit crab food
...//( 00 )\.........................................................................

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:36 am

Another thing I've noticed is they get a lot of sand on the food in my tank. :lol:
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:46 am

Jedi Sena wrote:A great way to see if they're eating on the sneaks (because they often prefer privacy) is to smooth out the substrate around the dish and then check for footprints in the morning. Also, sometimes they're eating substrate and tank decorations instead of the foods you're offering.
That is true. I have seen them eat wood, substrate, and drift wood.

Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:36 pm

Jedi Sena wrote:A great way to see if they're eating on the sneaks (because they often prefer privacy) is to smooth out the substrate around the dish and then check for footprints in the morning. Also, sometimes they're eating substrate and tank decorations instead of the foods you're offering.
This^ you work hard to provide food of all sorts and you walk in the room and find one of them snacking on dirt.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
2Es- Sputnikt+Strangeship 1PP- Bluebug
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:12 am

bbcraft22 wrote:You're probably thinking "Help! My hermit crab doesn't seem to be eating!" Well, there is a way that he/she will eat.
What you have to do is hand feeding. You could feed them whatever they like, preferably apples, raisins or coconut chunks.

What you need to do is to hold them in the air, but near the ground. Hold the soft food near their claws. Be patient. It will take them a while. If they still won't eat the food, bring them closer to the floor.

Any questions? Ask me in a reply!
Handling hermit crabs is stressful to them and imo, shouldn't be done more than absolutely necessary.

They should be allowed to eat and drink as they see fit. It is not necessary to handle and attempt to force feed them. They eat small amounts and will eat when they are hungry.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk