What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2016~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

HermiesIsMine

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by HermiesIsMine » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:05 am

Can anyone tell me where I can go to get a good stock of foods for my hermit crabs pretty cheap? I've been giving them peanut butter, freeze dried shrimp, honey and cuttle bone every night for two weeks. Poor babies :( but my husband can't eat meat for health reasons so we don't really have a lot of stuff I can think to give them. I need something more then just fresh fruits and veggies because those go bad to quickly. Any ideas on what I should buy and where to get them from would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

HermiesIsMine

Post by HermiesIsMine » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:10 am

I'm sure there's litterally 1000s of things But I'm more of a textbook answer kinda girl. I'm more then likely going to write down a good cheap suggested recipe and locations on where to pick up ingredients and tape it to my tat and make it for them as a DAILY meal so I guess variety is very important

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:33 am

I'm not sure what your definition of cheap might be because everyone is different, but as far as I know I get cans of crickets and mealworms at Meijers in the reptile section. I also found a canister of freeze dried bloodworms at Walmart in the fish section.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:38 pm

HermiesIsMine wrote:Can anyone tell me where I can go to get a good stock of foods for my hermit crabs pretty cheap? I've been giving them peanut butter, freeze dried shrimp, honey and cuttle bone every night for two weeks. Poor babies :( but my husband can't eat meat for health reasons so we don't really have a lot of stuff I can think to give them. I need something more then just fresh fruits and veggies because those go bad to quickly. Any ideas on what I should buy and where to get them from would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Don't forget things like rolled oats, chia seeds, flax meal (all available in the self-serve bins in stores like Whole Foods, Henry's, Sprouts, etc.) and the always successful eggshells. Next time you prepare eggs, give them one of the half shells with some of the raw albumin: it's a great source of protein and they can pick away at the shell for added calcium. They can also eat unseasoned cooked egg, i.e., piece of hard-boiled egg or a bit of scrambled egg.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:18 am

If you have a good pet store near you, try Hikari frozen fish foods - they come in lil' sectioned packets. You can get mysis shrimp, daphnia, bloodworms, etc.

Also, if you go to the safe foods list & print it, then pop over to your nearest bulk food store, just grab a teeny bit of a whole lot of stuff. I took my boyfriends kid sister to help pick the foods we'd use (they're really her crabs) and it was kind of fun. We called the resulting mix 'crabbies crunch' and add a little each day. There are about twenty ingredients & but I paid about six dollars for it all.☺

Also, I'd invest in some healthfood store grade seaweed, like kombu or dulse. It's a wee bit pricier, but comes in a zip lock style bag & the volume will last you ages because you just add little bits. Our crabs seem to really dig the dulse!
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

HermiesIsMine

Post by HermiesIsMine » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:43 pm

Thank you all for such great ideas now I just have to figure out where they sell those things here in San Antonio texas

Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:34 pm

HermiesIsMine wrote:Thank you all for such great ideas now I just have to figure out where they sell those things here in San Antonio texas

I always ask the sea food people at the grocery store for "one shrimp" or "one crab leg" and usually they will give it to me for free since it is such a small quantity. I also ask if they have any sea food scraps that would otherwise be thrown away. You might be able to do the same with the meat section. I also keep egg shells. Also if you bring the safe food list to the store you can check out the baby food. I always get organic baby food so there shouldn't be bad preservatives. Some baby food also has chicken options.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
2Es- Sputnikt+Strangeship 1PP- Bluebug
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

HermiesIsMine

Post by HermiesIsMine » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:25 am

Awesome thank you!!!

Hollym2247

Post by Hollym2247 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:35 pm

HermiesIsMine wrote:Can anyone tell me where I can go to get a good stock of foods for my hermit crabs pretty cheap? I've been giving them peanut butter, freeze dried shrimp, honey and cuttle bone every night for two weeks. Poor babies :( but my husband can't eat meat for health reasons so we don't really have a lot of stuff I can think to give them. I need something more then just fresh fruits and veggies because those go bad to quickly. Any ideas on what I should buy and where to get them from would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

On another member's recommendation, I went to Wal-Mart and got a huge pack of unsalted toasted seaweed sheets, walnuts, chia seeds, plain toasted coconut (unsweetened) and flax seeds. I ground up some in my food processor and put it in a zip lock. I have freeze dried apples that we eat, and I order freeze dried "surf and turf" from the hermit crab patch, along with ground oyster shell and mineral supplement. All of that keeps for a long time.

Eggshells, scrambled or boiled egg (undeasoned), freeze dried crickets and shrimp from the pet store are all good protein sources.
Last edited by Hollym2247 on Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HermiesIsMine

Post by HermiesIsMine » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:50 pm

Yea that's probably what I'm going to do tonight

Topic author
CrabbyEmerson

Post by CrabbyEmerson » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:15 pm

Green bell pepper, peanut butter, corn, dried pineapple, chicken, mealworms, and a bit of pumpkin + the seeds to celebrate the first day of autumn!

SHERRYCOOPER5

Post by SHERRYCOOPER5 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:57 am

Besides all of the foods mentioned above, my hermies love organic carrot shreds and bits of Romaine lettuce : )
Sherry proud earth mother of:
Tollie-4 yr old Russian Tortoise
Finley-5 yr old Choco Lab
Beau-Male Beta
Betta-Female Beta-not in same tank as Beau
Echo, Mini, Brad (RIP) and Angelina, Pcush-small/ medium PP's

cap7

What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by cap7 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:15 pm

Lobster tail with shell, coconut shaving, calcium honey powder, rose petals and hips, dried mix from Hermie's Kitchen and worm castings.
Almost forgot, chia seeds.
I caught the E running off with a piece of lobster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
CrabbyEmerson

Post by CrabbyEmerson » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:11 am

They didn't quite finish last night's meal so I just topped it off with some sunflower seeds and peas.

Hollym2247

Post by Hollym2247 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:39 pm

SHERRYCOOPER5 wrote:Besides all of the foods mentioned above, my hermies love organic carrot shreds and bits of Romaine lettuce : )
So funny, mine don't touch either of those!