Newish crab mommy, surface molts and losing limbs!?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Jojobeansy

Re: Newish crab mommy, surface molts and losing limbs!?

Post by Jojobeansy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:39 am

Sparkle seems to be doing great! I haven't moved her out of ISO yet, just in case, but she has been coming up to eat/drink, and changed her bury spot yesterday so I think she's about ready!

I'm STILL having humidity issues though, calibrated the hygrometer, found that it's 6 high, so when I thought it was at 70% it was really 64% the whole time! :/ I have wrapped the lid with saran wrap, added a small moss pit, and I had it up to 80% (actual, it read 86) last night, and by this morning it's back down to 62%! Ugh! There is even condensation on the inside of the glass!! What the heck am I doing wrong!?

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:05 am

Is it an analog or digital by chance? Analogs are notorious for not working so well... But have you tried bubbler pools yet?

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

Topic author
Jojobeansy

Post by Jojobeansy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:56 pm

It is analog! I calibrated it yesterday! But I was planning on buying a digital soon anyway. I just want to make sure their tank is humid enough!

EOD-Crab

Post by EOD-Crab » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:29 pm

I use a humidifier, a cool must one, and tubing into the tank. If you go that route get one with changable mist volume,dimmer switch, and a toggle switch for power. This allows you to use an outlet timer and set automatic mist times.

Of course I have a DIY 80g tank and a ceramic heat lamp on a dimmer switch so I need the extra humidity. So it may be overkill for your needs

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:33 pm

I would try getting bubblers in the pools if you don't have them already, they help a lot. All you need is a small air pump, tubing, a gang valve to control the bubbles, and air stones. You can find them in almost any fish section. They also help put fresh air into the tank.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/