House is being carpeted, need to move tank

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
kieagcarm

House is being carpeted, need to move tank

Post by kieagcarm » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:59 pm

So I went thru all 6 pages of the moving with hermits stickie, and since I'm only moving the tank down a flight of stairs and back, what can I do that will save my back and the back of atleast one other? I have a 20tall and it has at least 7 inches of sand/ee. I'm trying to do this the easiest, most convenient way for both me and my crabs.any advice please!

Also on a separate note, while going they that stickie, I noticed people had 12pp's in a 20long. Did the guidelines used to be different on how many crabs to put in certain size tanks?

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Topic author
kieagcarm

Re: House is being carpeted, need to move tank

Post by kieagcarm » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:24 pm

You know, I wish I had thought ahead and waited to set up my new tank for another 2 weeks. My hermits are just now starting to adjust to there permanent home and make their own "spots" and now I have to disturb them. I'm very upset I didn't plan for this correctly, I just wanted to give them the best I could as fast as I could. I need to add more sub now since its settled and is only 6&1/2 inches now. I was going to add all my new stuff including bubbler pools but I'm just going to wait until Friday after they are done

Nate the great

Post by Nate the great » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:42 am

Do they have to be moved downstairs? Can't you ask the carpet guys to shift them from one side of the room to the other?

A 20G is not terribly heavy; two husky guys can shift it.
Currently the caretaker for:
Six hermies in 37G bow front, and two more in a ten-gallon tank.

I build websites, and blog about ebooks.

hermitharbor

Post by hermitharbor » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:01 am

My dad does flooring and they do one room at a time, and carpeting doesn't take long. Maybe you can move them to another room while they carpet the room they're in, then move them back once they're done? It's the same thing they do with furniture. It would probably be the easiest and least stressful way to do it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Follow me on my crab blog! Hermit Harbor

The 6 PPs of The Harbor: Ama (♀), Nora (♀), Neptune (♂), Lir (♂), Allie (♀), Bongo (♂)
The 2 E's of The Fiefdom: Nami (♀), Unnamed (♀)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:09 pm

I agree. I would try to keep them in the same room. Do you have any molters down? You don't want any collapsed tunnels. My old tank is full of 10-12" of sand. It cannot be picked up. It can only be slid a tiny bit at a time (by my husband). Good luck!

As far as the guidelines, I think the gallons required depends on the size of the crab. I think the less crabs you have the better imho.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:51 pm

Nate the great wrote:Do they have to be moved downstairs? Can't you ask the carpet guys to shift them from one side of the room to the other?

A 20G is not terribly heavy; two husky guys can shift it.
The place we are getting it done thru will not move anything valuable, mattresses, or anything to do with animals. So I have to move it. It has to be removed from the room. I could move it to the bathroom, which is maybe 10ft away but has to be moved. I am sad to say I have no upper body strength and can not move the whole tank. I tried. Is way too heavy for me. Then I have to move Athena's tank, which is easy since its only a 5g, but she is under. Terrified I'm going to collapse her tunnel cave. Any ideas?

Topic author
kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:53 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I agree. I would try to keep them in the same room. Do you have any molters down? You don't want any collapsed tunnels. My old tank is full of 10-12" of sand. It cannot be picked up. It can only be slid a tiny bit at a time (by my husband). Good luck!

As far as the guidelines, I think the gallons required depends on the size of the crab. I think the less crabs you have the better imho.
I replied to the moving for someone else too, but I could probably push the whole tank and stand to the bathroom about 10ft away, it's not getting carpet. As for what I said about the people having so many crabs, one person had 12 in my size. Another had 4 in a ten.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:33 am

The guidelines have shifted throughout the years, but they have been the same since I've been here, which is a little over a year. Some people choose to follow guidelines, and other's do not. All we can do is give our best recommendations and hope people listen. For the long term health of the crabs I would not house 12 crabs in a 20 gallon tank. I feel it's rolling the dice on to when you have aggression/ molting issues. That being said: everyone's situation is different, some people have more flexible income, and some have limitations from the place they live, etc. We try to remain supportive and unbiased no matter the situation.
As for your carpeting issue-I think sliding it to the bathroom would be your best bet, that way you aren't disturbing molters, and in reality is the least amount of work when you consider setting up isos, removing sand, moving the tank, and potentially isoing molters for weeks while they recoup. I think the decision to just leave them in the tank is best. Congrats on the new carpet btw, I'm jelly!

Topic author
kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:56 am

I am so aggravated this morning, I told my mother earlier this week we need to just push the stand with the tank into the bathroom, she said that's fine. Today is a whole different story. "They need to be able to open the bathroom door all the way so we need to pick up(an almost 150lb tank) the tank and move it into the bathroom and put it on the floor; you never said the stand too we can't push that; I told you not to buy so much for the crabs it doesn't take this much to keep them; no the carpet guys won't move it because we have to move anything breakable and it's glass so it's breakable and no I won't ask them...blah blah blah" now I told her fine I'm leaving it where it is and she can figure it out herself and when the carpet guys get here I'm going you ask what they would have suggested and when they say the bathroom would have been fine...

bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:01 pm

maybe if you move it you xould put all crabs above ground in a little bin eith stuff they csn play with

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan