We have eggs!

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
mlakers

Re: We have eggs!

Post by mlakers » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:12 pm

Thank you, everyone! I'm really hoping it's tonight. I'm not sure I have another night of this in me. Hubby just took watch while I ate dinner. :P

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:24 pm

I have literally been sitting vigil since 4pm. 5 hours and that's just tonight. I'm beat.

My last ditch effort to get her to the pools was to place the flashlight overtop the pool, shining into the water as encouragement. Like the shine of the moon that baby sea turtles follow after hatching. No dice. She fled back into the back corner behind the rock sculpture. I give up. I got nothin' left. I really hope she makes it to the SW pool when she drops. I REALLY do. If she does, I've got a sweet setup all prepared for her babies and everything I could think of to give them the best start I have in me. If not, c'est la vie.

Good luck Garbo. Good luck nature. See you in the morning. :?

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:26 pm

I know its hard but you have out her in the best environment to hopefully drop her babies. Im sure once she and her eggs are ready she will do it. So hopefully tomorrow brings cloudy water!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:26 pm

Oh, and in case you are wondering, that purple thing hanging on the side above the SW pool is their hamster wheel. I modified it with craft mesh to make it wider and more grippy. They love it, fight over it, guard it, and walk miles and miles in it.

And the SW pool was much bigger and deeper but I made it shallower for Garbo with a more sloping entry as the old one seemed to freak her out--like everything does. Poor skittish Garbo.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:02 pm

You are dedicated mlakers! I was chuckling reading your texts, because I know I would be doing the same thing if I was in your shoes! We are all rooting for you & Garbo! If it's meant to be it will happen! You have been so dedicated and diligent- it's very exciting to be a part of...thank you for sharing! Now...I'd really love to know about this wheel too! Lol . Get some rest! We are all rooting for your success!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:04 pm

Maybe and hopefully Garbo being the shy crab she is just needs some privacy

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:26 pm

Hamster wheel??? I saw a picture on pinterest of a hermit in one but thought it was maybe an owner who didn't know what they are doing, but we can use them for our hermits really? That's cool

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:45 pm

Thank you for keeping us updated! I'm hoping it all turns out! Even if it doesn't this time though I'm sure there will be more opportunities, and at least you have a nice set up for babies regardless, so you will always be prepared. :crabbigsmile:

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:05 am

Thanks, everyone. She appears to still have the eggs this morning, based on her behavior, not a visual confirmation. She is acting clearly uncomfortable and the eggs appeared quite dark yesterday. I rarely interfere with my crabs, but I am considering gently setting her in the shallow saltwater pool I made for her if she hasn't spawned by noon. Inducing, if you will. I witnessed her mating, I know exactly how long it's been (50 days today) and they may not even be viable anymore, anyway. We shall see. I'll let her behavior guide my ultimate decision, but if the opportunity arises, I may take it.

Paradi

Post by Paradi » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:16 am

mlakers wrote:Thanks, everyone. She appears to still have the eggs this morning, based on her behavior, not a visual confirmation. She is acting clearly uncomfortable and the eggs appeared quite dark yesterday. I rarely interfere with my crabs, but I am considering gently setting her in the shallow saltwater pool I made for her if she hasn't spawned by noon. Inducing, if you will. I witnessed her mating, I know exactly how long it's been (50 days today) and they may not even be viable anymore, anyway. We shall see. I'll let her behavior guide my ultimate decision, but if the opportunity arises, I may take it.
Honestly I think the best thing is to just leave her alone. She's the mother, she knows what's best for her babies. She'll spawn when she feels comfortable, ready, and undisturbed. If the eggs weren't viable they'd be white instead of grey with little eyes. If you can see their eyes, they're fairly well developed larvae, but not necessarily ready yet. Breeding animals like hermit crabs is very hard, and sometimes things go wrong. Sometimes they eat their babies for (what we think is) no apparent reason. I wouldn't risk her aborting them because she's stressed when you try to pick her up and force her to spawn, especially being a crab that runs from you when you stare at her. She knows what she's doing. Trust her little crabby instincts :)
Same thing with breeding fish(which is where I have years of experience)... They know what to do, so leave them be. Sometimes things go wrong, but if they are happy enough in your care to mate once, they'll mate again and again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:45 am

Thanks @Paradi. I really appreciate the input. I'm still on the fence, still waiting to see how she looks when she reemerges today. I did refresh the SW pool so hopefully it's nice and inviting. She just looked so terribly uncomfortable last night, hanging out, shifting around, lethargic (or maybe that was me!), and I haven't seen her eat for days. But you are probably right, they will follow their natural instincts. I am generally a non-interventionist but I'm having trouble not obsessing over this one for some reason. Probably because I've put so much work into getting everything ready--a fact about which my crabs cares exactly zero. :lol:

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:20 pm

I couldn't agree more with paradi. Hopefully a little alone time and privacy is all she needs to drop the eggs

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:58 pm

I agree with Paradi & Just Jay also! Garbo knows what she is doing. Try practicing some diaphragmatic breathing to relax! You are just anxious and excited like us! Become distracted and tell us about your hamster wheel! Lol . (Please!). I'm oh so very curios!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:05 pm

99% sure the eggs are gone. Garbo is now eating, climbing, even walking in the wheel. She went from being basically catatonic yesterday, hardly moving, hanging half out of her shell, and shifting uncomfortably to being more lively than normal. Last night was it, I was pretty sure, based on her behavior. It's why I hung on for five hours waiting. If I had it to do over again, I would have gently set her in the saltwater before giving up, just to see if we could save any. 50 days is too long a gestation.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:10 pm

I'm sorry, hopefully you'll get another chance again since your crabs are comfortable enough in your tank to breed. Maybe by the time it starts to happen again you'll have time to get ahold of any other things you may want for trying to raise the zoea. Remember, having the crabs comfortable enough to attempt reproduction is a feat itself considering how hard crab care can be.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/