First molter

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
bbcraft22

First molter

Post by bbcraft22 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:04 pm

I am currently first molt. My fred has dug down in the subtrate and didnt come back up yet. He has been down there for over 10 days now, and he had a molt sac (@ll of my crabs do) and was though always actuve. He is the last hermit crabs I would think would molt most soon. Should I be worried because I looked at all sides of the tank and cant find him? Every now and then, I hear glass scraping even though my other two would be asleep. I hope that is a sign that hE is aliv

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

Rawrgeous

Re: First molter

Post by Rawrgeous » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:39 am

I went ahead and split this into a new topic since it isn't pertaining to the OP's thread. A molting sac may or may not be present on crabs that are about to molt. Some seem to have one all the time. In your case I would assume they are all due for a molt. It is not uncommon for newer crabs to dig down almost right away so I would not be surprised. When crabs are buried you are not going to know their location a majority of the time. Read through our molting guide for more info here: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 23&t=92527

Topic author
bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:08 pm

but I also forgot to tell you that I never saw an actual tunnel

"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:54 pm

bbcraft22 wrote:but I also forgot to tell you that I never saw an actual tunnel
Crabs usually backfill their tunnels, even when they are just digging for fun. When they find the ideal spot for the molt, they'll create a little cave and close off all access. If the cave is near the glass, you may be able to see or hear Fred but most of my crabs have created their molt caves far enough away from the walls so as to be undetectable...at least by me :D .
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:08 pm

thanks for replying... that reassured me

Topic author
bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:11 pm

a d rawgreyus, that guide really helped me

beargirl

First molter

Post by beargirl » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:10 pm

I am new to this website and don't really know how to post so please excuse me if I posted incorrectly.

I believe my hermit crab is in the process of molting. He stays curled up in his shell in the corner of the tank all day, I picked him up and he hasn't moved. He has not shed his exoskeleton yet and I know he is not dead because it doesn't smell like fish, but i am still worried. I created a barrier between him and my other crab and placed new shells, water, and food in there with him. I also have another problem, I am going on vacation (I live in Texas and we are driving to Missouri) in the next few weeks and I don't have anyone to take care of the crabs. I have to take the crabs with me but knowing how crabs get stressed out on trips, I don't know how to go about it.
-Both crabs are purple pincher
-They live in a 15 gallon tank
-I have a medium sized carrier that I plan on taking them in
~Should I get a bigger carrier before I go?
~Since there is no getting around taking them on the trip, what are some things I could do to help 'em survive?

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:11 am

beargirl wrote:I am new to this website and don't really know how to post so please excuse me if I posted incorrectly.

I believe my hermit crab is in the process of molting. He stays curled up in his shell in the corner of the tank all day, I picked him up and he hasn't moved. He has not shed his exoskeleton yet and I know he is not dead because it doesn't smell like fish, but i am still worried. I created a barrier between him and my other crab and placed new shells, water, and food in there with him. I also have another problem, I am going on vacation (I live in Texas and we are driving to Missouri) in the next few weeks and I don't have anyone to take care of the crabs. I have to take the crabs with me but knowing how crabs get stressed out on trips, I don't know how to go about it.
~Since there is no getting around taking them on the trip, what are some things I could do to help 'em survive?
What is your set up? How much substrate do you have?

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:37 am

beargirl wrote:I am new to this website and don't really know how to post so please excuse me if I posted incorrectly.

Hi, welcome to the HCA!
Once i can get to a pc I will move this to the correct subforum. I highly suggest reading through our basic care guide linked here: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=92457 To post: select the subforum you wish to post in. Then click new topic at the top of the page. If you are on tapatalk you simply click the plus button on the top of the page once you have selected hermit crab association and the topic you want to post in. You may also find the molting sticky on the molting subforum healthy as well. If your crab is truly molting I suggest isoing it from the others to prevent aggression as they can smell "tasty" to other crabs.

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

beargirl

Post by beargirl » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:05 pm

Reply to kieagcarm - I have about 2 maybe three inches of substrate, after reading I realize that this is not the ideal amount and I am going to change this soon. (The current substrate is sand and eco-earth mixed together).
This is the link to the photo of my tank set up.
http://hermitcrabtank15546.weebly.com

Reply to Rawrgeous - Thank you and I will try to post to the correct subforum in my next use.