What is this crab doing?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

What is this crab doing?

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:45 pm

So perhaps I'm going through a time period where I am obsessed with my crabs...but I saw my crab doing this today, and I have no clue what he/she is doing. It is around another crab, but is two inches away. The other crab is inside the hide. Is he/she trying to impress the other? It doesn't appear threatening. Ty for your feedback!https://vimeo.com/192037704

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

kieagcarm

Re: What is this crab doing?

Post by kieagcarm » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:24 pm

Is he out of his shell almost? He looks stuck maybe, but if it is crab flirting I love it

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Hershozz

Post by Hershozz » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:05 pm

My crab has been doing the same thing lately lol! Except not in front of my other. Still don't know what it is

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:41 pm

kieagcarm wrote:Is he out of his shell almost? He looks stuck maybe, but if it is crab flirting I love it

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
Yes, he/she mostly out of shell. Not stuck. Saw him/her able to move fine. Crab is acting fine, just saw him/her doing that for about 10/15 minutes.

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:59 pm

Sometimes when they lean waaaaay out like that, you'll see the tiny "hidden" legs clean poop out of the shell by pushing it forward. Not as romantic as crab flirting, granted, but a fact of crabbie life nonetheless.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:21 pm

I didn't see any poop, but that doesn't mean there wasn't any. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:43 pm

Ive seen mine doing this but not in front of another. Ive also never seen them poop [or poop when cleaning] lol. When my crabs were doing this they usually tried on a new shell after or had just put a new shell on. I always assumed they were getting situated. Maybe even washing some of the water they can keep in their shells over their gills or soft abdomen? Crabs are silly when they let you watch.

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:00 am

Interesting Just Jay, that hermit did recently change into that shell a few days ago, so that is possible!

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:35 pm

Nice! It was funny because i caught my own crab Tina doing the same thing last night. So i figured she might be shell shopping [what i call looking for a new shell] added a bunch of turbos [favorite of the week] and some others. Bam! She put on a new turbo right when she thought i was gone....or you know hiding being my desk chair lol

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

EOD-Crab

Post by EOD-Crab » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:27 am

This is usually a crab modifying their shell. They produce a chemical that helps them thin out the shell to fit better, make lighter, etc. if you notice some shells are "hot items" with your crabs that likely means they are already modified shells.

Given the choice a crab generally chooses a "turn key" shell as opposed to a "fixer-upper" but if not are available or don't fit right they mod it themselves. If you remember did that shell feel heavy? If so that's a good indication of fresh shell. P.S. only LHC seem to mod shells due to the weight and lack of predator bite force compared to aquatic crabs.

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:59 am

Very interesting information ~ thanks! I buy all of my shells locally, it wasn't heavy, but definitely a new one and not modified.

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:26 pm

EOD-Crab wrote:This is usually a crab modifying their shell. They produce a chemical that helps them thin out the shell to fit better, make lighter, etc. if you notice some shells are "hot items" with your crabs that likely means they are already modified shells.

Given the choice a crab generally chooses a "turn key" shell as opposed to a "fixer-upper" but if not are available or don't fit right they mod it themselves. If you remember did that shell feel heavy? If so that's a good indication of fresh shell. P.S. only LHC seem to mod shells due to the weight and lack of predator bite force compared to aquatic crabs.
I never knew that thank you!

SeemsLegit12

Post by SeemsLegit12 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:39 pm

Lel that looks weird
"Thug Life is the only life"
- Me
13 years old with 2 months of experience