Substrate?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
daws409

Substrate?

Post by daws409 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:30 am

Hi, I'm a so confused! I'm new to the forum but not to crabbing. I've been using straight EE for about 5 years now....I've never had any problems with this but I read somewhere that straight EE was bad for the crabs. I have noticed that shells do loose there beautiful coloring (gloss, shine, top coat...dull looking I guess) after so many years. I've never had a bad molt where their limbs come out crooked or missing all together. When they're not molting, they tend to dig a lot. This varies from crab to crab though. Am I supposed to be using a 5:1 mixture with sand?? I do know that this is a cheaper way but money is not a problem. I'm getting ready to upgrade to a 90 gal so they'll have more room to roam and dig. I don't want to have any problems in the future....
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Rawrgeous

Re: Substrate?

Post by Rawrgeous » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:19 pm

There are many veteran crabbers that use just ee with no problems. People claim it does speed up molt times, but I have no evidence either way as I've always used the 5 to 1 ratio. It is also supposed to be easier to keep at the right consistency for molting caves. Congrats on the upgrade btw!

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:27 pm

Just as you've successfully used only EE, many crabbers use only playsand. I use about a 50/50 blend of playsand and EE: mixed it almost 2 years ago and it's as sandcastle-ly as the day it was made so the 5:1 ratio is not etched in stone. One of the advantages of a playsand/EE mix is that you don't have to mist daily to keep up the humidity (I only mist the moss pit and that's only every second or third day).
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:28 pm

Crabinski wrote:Just as you've successfully used only EE, many crabbers use only playsand. I use about a 50/50 blend of playsand and EE: mixed it almost 2 years ago and it's as sandcastle-ly as the day it was made so the 5:1 ratio is not etched in stone. One of the advantages of a playsand/EE mix is that you don't have to mist daily to keep up the humidity (I only mist the moss pit and that's only every second or third day).
Then I guess my idea of sand castle consistency is wrong. I put five cups of sand, one cup ee, so on, and added water(treated of course) and packed a mound once I thought it was wet enough. Every one's pictures look actually wet, mine is dry as a bone on top.

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:00 pm

You want it moldable enough when you squeeze it in your hand it holds it shape, without being drippy.

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:37 am

Rawrgeous wrote:You want it moldable enough when you squeeze it in your hand it holds it shape, without being drippy.

Yeah, mine was moldable, but maybe just so. Every picture I look at, their sub has a wet look while mine really looks dry still. I'm thinking I just have a different ideas of what is sand castle consistency lol. When I stick a pencil down the glass is falls in on itself on the top inch but under that is a tunnel, and when I stick a pencil in the sub in the middle of the tank it's a perfect tunnel. Maybe it's just around the glass that's drying. I wish I knew the kind of humidifier to get

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:54 am

A little bit of dry sub on the very top layer is ok. As long as the tunnel under it stays intact, u should be good! My sub on the side without the bubblers, the top layer stays a bit dry but just underneath it is good and the hermies are still able to dig down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
daws409

Post by daws409 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:04 am

Thanks for the input. :)
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:06 am

daws409 wrote:Thanks for the input. :)
Sure!!^_^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:33 pm

I have had my hermies for over 6 years, and have always used the 5:1 sand: EE mix. The top maybe 1/4" dries out, especially near the UTHs (mounted on the sides). I mist daily or every other day to keep it moist, and occasionally run a little water down the side of the glass where it soaks in. I would think that the top inch being dry might be a little too much, depending on how deep your substrate is in total. Maybe just more misting to help keep it moist?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers