Odd behavior

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
cap7

Odd behavior

Post by cap7 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:34 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before: one of my E's is not eating the scrambled eggs, at first I thought he was going to run off with a piece. But it looks like he is kneading it like bread. Or fluffing it up. He did this for ten minutes, taking pieces of the cooked egg. Fluffing it and scattering it all around.
He was in a weird position too. The shell opening was face up and he was out farther than other times. He has since stopped and is now acting as usual, active, fast, then eating coconut and half sitting in an eggshell.
He's acting fine but I never saw him do this before. I've had him for 6 months and he has molted once for me and has changed into a lovely turbo.
I was curious what this behavior meant. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Odd behavior

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:44 am

He might of been eating it... They do "pinch" apart food when eating, which can be similar to eating. Most likely he was just chilling while eating some eats... What a better way to eat then be half out of the shell and casually flop out?

Or he could be taste testing and a little unsure of whether to eat it or not.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:00 am

One of our PP's does the exact same thing frequently. My daughter calls it the "hermie dance"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tnguo

Post by Tnguo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:10 pm

One of my PP's did the "hanging out of the shell" thing the other night. I was really worried! The shell opening was face up on the sand and he was hanging out of it, pinching some of the moss from the moss pit! I was afraid he was going to streak, but after watching for a while, I figured he was just being lazy/silly and enjoying himself. When he saw me he scrunched further back in his shell and looked more normal. No problems since that I can tell so I think it's just their personality.

EOD-Crab

Post by EOD-Crab » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:50 am

Did he recently change shells?

If so he is likely modifying his shell. They produce a chemical that dissolves the shell slowly while rubbing with their little legs inside. Sea shells are thick and strong but land crabs need less weight and sea crabs need more protection.

Crabnado

Post by Crabnado » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:15 pm

One of our crabs was convinced she could fit through an opening her shell couldn't. I thought she was going to pull herself out of her own shell trying. I've never seen so much crab out of a shell, in person. She was at it for at least an hour before she finally gave up and crawled over instead of through. Silly crab.