Tank upgrade

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Giner13

Tank upgrade

Post by Giner13 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:19 pm

What do ya'll recommend using for bigger water pools? I currently have a two-sided pet food dish but I know it won't be deep enough for my growing boys when I upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EOD-Crab

Re: Tank upgrade

Post by EOD-Crab » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:27 pm

I use a small painters tray. You can get them at Walmart or a hardware store. To prevent drowning I have a plastic mesh zip tied at the lip with silicon in the bottom. This is my fresh currently. In prep for a Strawberry I want to get my sea water is the old critter keeper that my first crabs were sold to me in. I use eggcrate and the same mesh for a ramp.

Ps. On the painters tray you can scratch the smooth ramp on it alread, add silicon and pebbles for a more aesthetic pool

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:31 pm

I have used tuppy containers that work out great but i find they are either wide or deep. I love my sw thats the bottom of a kritter kepper. Only thing i kick myself for often is not making it easier to take out and change. Ive been looking up different aquariums for like salt and fresh water snails, shrimp, other crabs and other things that hermit crabs would eat or find in tide pools. That has given me some good ideas about larger upgrades. Lots of them are other containers instead of aquariums.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:48 pm

EOD-Crab wrote:I use a small painters tray. You can get them at Walmart or a hardware store. To prevent drowning I have a plastic mesh zip tied at the lip with silicon in the bottom. This is my fresh currently. In prep for a Strawberry I want to get my sea water is the old critter keeper that my first crabs were sold to me in. I use eggcrate and the same mesh for a ramp.

Ps. On the painters tray you can scratch the smooth ramp on it alread, add silicon and pebbles for a more aesthetic pool
Do you have a false bottom in place for the kk with water when you do that? (Just in case it ever leaks)

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:53 pm

EOD-Crab wrote:I use a small painters tray. You can get them at Walmart or a hardware store. To prevent drowning I have a plastic mesh zip tied at the lip with silicon in the bottom. This is my fresh currently. In prep for a Strawberry I want to get my sea water is the old critter keeper that my first crabs were sold to me in. I use eggcrate and the same mesh for a ramp.

That's a pretty good idea
But I'd be wondering how to make it easier to take out/change as JustJay said?

EOD-Crab

Post by EOD-Crab » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:06 pm

No false bottom, mine has never leaked but I did a test prior to using it by filling and setting on paper towels for a few days. Every time I clean it I inspect it.

I did just do a sub cycle, where I mix the sub from bottom and top together and there was no standing water.

Taking it out is easy for me because I water sealed a large front door cabinet for my "tank" so I have easy access. The kk lip is flush with sub. If I can figure out posting pictures I will post one.

EOD-Crab

Post by EOD-Crab » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Last edited by EOD-Crab on Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:50 pm

EOD-Crab wrote:Image
Very cool!!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:21 pm

Very nice crabitat! How many gallons is that?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

daws409

Post by daws409 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:23 pm

Very cool! I use double up Tupperware. The first is buried in the sub and has a layer of siliconed marbles (some use pebbles) in bottom. The second bowl sets inside this and is filled with water. I have plastic canvas as ramps but you can use pebbles, marbles, vines, or egg crate.... It makes it easier to do water changes. I also only change my water once (maybe twice if it's dirty) a week because I have bubblers. My dishes hold about 5 cups of water.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

EOD-Crab

Post by EOD-Crab » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:24 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Very nice crabitat! How many gallons is that?
Only about 60gal but the door makes everything much easier to manage. Also being wood I could mount my ceramic heater and a dimmer switch on the side to control temp. The UV light and night viewing light were super easy to mount too

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Tank upgrade

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:53 am

Nice!
Edit: I would probably make substrate deep since you don't have much of a footprint.

EadvEnturEs

Post by EadvEnturEs » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:54 pm

I do literally the exact same as daws. Pretty sure we have the same dishes (haven't we talked about this before?). Here are my pools:

I have a 65G tank and am working on a 5 E colony
1 E: a medium girl named Luna
Please look for my adoption post in the thread for TX!
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=112952

daws409

Post by daws409 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:59 pm

EadvEnturEs wrote:I do literally the exact same as daws. Pretty sure we have the same dishes (haven't we talked about this before?).

Yes, same ones but mine are set up different.... I'll have to take a pic

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:42 pm

EadvEnturEs wrote:I do literally the exact same as daws. Pretty sure we have the same dishes (haven't we talked about this before?). Here are my pools:

Very cool!!