confused about water or land hermits

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
agentcrabby

confused about water or land hermits

Post by agentcrabby » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:14 am

so, an acquaintance has two little crabs that he took from the ocean, literally from under water. he has a decent tat with fresh and salt dishes, and says the crabs "converted" into land crabs. I have tried to research to see if they actually "convert", or if they are diff species. Does anyone know?

He wants me to rehome them due to an upcoming move, and I want to know more about these, if I put them with my precious gang.

Thanks

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: confused about water or land hermits

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:33 am

I'm not sure, but I think those need to be kept in a saltwater fish tank. Totally separate crustacean. They live underwater all of the time. When I had my saltwater fish tank I had hermits that were underwater ones. I've never heard of anyone "converting" them. I personally do not agree with taking any creature from the wild, unfortunately I guess it is what it is. Adopt don't shop.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
agentcrabby

Post by agentcrabby » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:41 am

GotButterflies wrote:I'm not sure, but I think those need to be kept in a saltwater fish tank. Totally separate crustacean. They live underwater all of the time. When I had my saltwater fish tank I had hermits that were underwater ones. I've never heard of anyone "converting" them. I personally do not agree with taking any creature from the wild, unfortunately I guess it is what it is. Adopt don't shop.
I agree and would be adopting these from him, due to his move. I just don't know what I am working with.

Could they pose a danger to my hermies?

I could just release them at the beach but that seems wrong since been captive...

Sent from The South Florida Kingdom of Hermies

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:08 pm

Showing us pictures could be helpful in figuring out whether they are land hermit crabs or marine hermit crabs. They look pretty different.

Edit - As far as I have researched they cannot be converted from MHC to LHC and vice versa.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:15 pm

These crabs certainly shouldn't be 'converted' to a land existence.. environmental needs arent really optional for animals. They may not be dead, but they probably aren't healthy. How long has your acquaintance had them?

Whereabouts did the crabs come from? If you posted pics we might be able to figure out what species they are.... that would be something.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
agentcrabby

Post by agentcrabby » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:39 am

Well I convinced him to return them to the ocean, which is the best solution. Thanks for all the info

Sent from The South Florida Kingdom of Hermies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:11 pm

That's great! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:04 pm

You do good work, agentcrabby. 8)
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:36 am

In the future, its best to rehome them to a SW setup. In captivity, they have "access" to diseases and foreign bacteria that may be a devastating impact of wild populations or other species in the area.

~~~
Most likely he had crabs that's found around the rockpools near the coast, where they are able to withstand short periods of time out of water.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies