Are my hermits breeding?

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
HeyItsEggs

Are my hermits breeding?

Post by HeyItsEggs » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:34 pm

Hi my fellow shell baby Moms and Dads!
I have my three hermit crabs. I determined Malibu's gender while she was changing shells she has pleopods! YAY! I wanted her to be a girl! But my two PPs who I named to be female, are starting to seem as if they are male. They are darker in color and have bigger BPs than Mal. Cappuccino is not the problem. It's Mocha, he/she is climbing on top of Mal and I try to separate them and it doesn't work! He/she goes right back to her! :roll: By how I am describing my two PPs, do you think they are male? And if so, are they breeding? And while I am at it, if you guys do think that Mocha or both are boys do you have any name suggestions?
Thanks guys!
Sophia :D
Sophia aka "Eggs"
Four PPs, Rio, Rolo, Curlz and Malibu in a 40 gallon
May they rest in peace- Mango- 1/13/17 and Stefanio- 1/10/17

NLindsey921

Re: Are my hermits breeding?

Post by NLindsey921 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:01 am

I don't know much about breeding but I do know the only way to tell for sure the gender is that females have gonopores and pleopods. Size and coloring cannot be used due to the fact that each crab molts and different paces and their age is unknown when bought from pet store or adopted. The only way to tell if your crabs have bred is the presence of eggs in the pleopods shell.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:06 am

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... p?t=112724

Here is a link to the most recent successful breeding.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:10 am

Are they on top of the shell? I guess I cannot picture what you are describing.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

mool

Post by mool » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:00 pm

It sounds like a shell fight, which can be serious. Do you have 4-5 shells for each crab?

I've had some luck intervening in dominance squabbles by tapping the aggressive crab's shell on the back a few times. I usually use a chop stick. This makes the aggressive crab think it's being attacked back and they usually stop being aggressive.

Topic author
HeyItsEggs

Post by HeyItsEggs » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:12 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Are they on top of the shell? I guess I cannot picture what you are describing.
Yes they are. It is not a shell fight because Mocha just changed into a perfect shell for him/her.
Sophia aka "Eggs"

Topic author
HeyItsEggs

Post by HeyItsEggs » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:28 pm

Well guys I have decided that I will just rename them unisex names. I am thinking Rolo for Mocha and Curlz for Cappuccino? What do u guys think :lol: :D :wink: :banana:
Sophia aka "Eggs"

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:53 am

mool wrote:It sounds like a shell fight, which can be serious. Do you have 4-5 shells for each crab?

I've had some luck intervening in dominance squabbles by tapping the aggressive crab's shell on the back a few times. I usually use a chop stick. This makes the aggressive crab think it's being attacked back and they usually stop being aggressive.
That's hilarious mool! I can totally picture that! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

mool

Post by mool » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:55 pm

GB--It really works!

Original Poster--the perfect shell in your opinion might not be the perfect shell in the crab's opinion. I wouldn't totally disregard the behavior as not a shell fight.

Topic author
HeyItsEggs

Post by HeyItsEggs » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:00 pm

mool wrote:GB--It really works!

Original Poster--the perfect shell in your opinion might not be the perfect shell in the crab's opinion. I wouldn't totally disregard the behavior as not a shell fight.
They have not been doing it and I am very happy. What it was: Mocha ( Now known as the gender neutral name Rolo) would climb on top of Mal when she was in a corner either burrowing or just sitting there. Really weird!! :hlol: :lol: But now it hasn't happened recently so maybe they were getting to know each other?Idk but now they seem like the best of friends! Thanks for all of your help! :D
Sophia aka "Eggs"