The Possibility of Breeding Land Crabs with Sea Crabs.

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
Drake X. Bit

The Possibility of Breeding Land Crabs with Sea Crabs.

Post by Drake X. Bit » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:37 am

I've been thinking for a little while about the possibility of breeding Saltwater Hermit Crabs with a Land Hermit Crab. I've personally done no research into the subject, nor own a Saltwater Crab, but I do own a Land Crab. Could such a feat be impossible. If we could somehow get a Land Crab to temporarily live in water to breed, or vice versa, could a living hybrid be born? Or would it be born an unholy amalgamate, living in a constant state of torture? Would they even make offspring, even less, breed together? This is a thread for discussing such a topic, or flaming me for being a dunce.

Rawrgeous

Re: The Possibility of Breeding Land Crabs with Sea Crabs.

Post by Rawrgeous » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:46 am

Breeding land crabs is very difficult to do anyhow, and has only been achieved in captivity (successfully) by a handful of people ever. I think the chances are very slim to none. Though it would probably be a pretty cool looking crab!

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:18 am

That would not be possible as they are 2 distinct species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:12 pm

Renroc wrote:That would not be possible as they are 2 distinct species.
^^^ This. at most, genetic modification in the terms of transgenic manipulation - aka: transfer of genes between species....
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:04 pm

Awesome idea but like aussiejj said, you'd need to genetically modify the stem cell. Though they look and function similarly, the physiology of a land crab (especially hermit crab) and a marine crab are very different. A species is actually defined by the fact that any given individual of said species can't breed with anything other than their own species. it's kind of like a marine snail and a land snail, or dare I say like a human and a chimp. Still an awesome idea though. Reminds me of full metal alchemist a little (but less terrifying).
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

Big Birgus

Post by Big Birgus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:44 pm

A better question would be could you breed birgus latro with another land hermit crab...
I don't rob people!