Condensation on Walls

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
RobGrant

Condensation on Walls

Post by RobGrant » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:38 am

We have recently upgraded tanks from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon. The 10 had a heat-lamp with wire mesh screen and moss to try and keep humidity. The new setup we went all out and did a UTH on the back and a full plexi glass top with humidifier to provide proper levels for them. The Issue I'm running into is that there is a constant amount of condensation on the walls and top of the tank even when the humidity level is around 80% I have since shut the humidifier down and even moved the tank to a warmer part of our house to try and even the temp differential between the inside and outside temperatures. Has anyone had any-luck with correcting this problem? Would drilling holes into the top of the plexi help at all?

Thanks for any input.

NLindsey921

Re: Condensation on Walls

Post by NLindsey921 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:17 pm

There is nothing wrong with having condensation on the glass. That's a surefire way to know your humidity is high enough. The only downside is that it is difficult to see your crabbies. I just wipe my glass down once a day when doing maintnence

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

Topic author
RobGrant

Post by RobGrant » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:20 pm

We have just been running into issues with things staying put since nothing wants to stick to the glass after a while. Guess I might have to start doing as you suggest and wipe it down once a day. Seems to only happen at night when the temp drops in the house.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:42 pm

The condensation is due to the temperature difference between the inside of the crabitat and the room. You want the humidity for the crabs, they need it to breathe with their modified gills. Minimum recommended is 80. It can be higher. Won't hurt them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:44 pm

I use command strips in my crabitat (the Velcro kind for 16 lbs) works great. Some people use power suction cups that lock with no problem. Just have to completely dry the surface before sticking them.

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:09 pm

I use command strips and hooks. So far the haven't given me any problems. The locking suction cups however failed miserably in my tank. I guess it's hit and miss

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:30 pm

I have suction cup branches that hold in my tank with no problem. The command strips are my favorite though!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:20 am

NLindsey921 wrote:That's a surefire way to know your humidity is high enough. The only downside is that it is difficult to see your crabbies. I just wipe my glass down once a day when doing maintnence

No always, condensation just means their is a heat/water vapour difference from inside and outside the tank. The only way that it is high enough is to get a gauge.
A way to reduce condensation is to increase air movement along the glass, which can be achieved by what lid you use - leave a gap along the front glass pane for example - or using a small fan inside the tank.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:03 am

Well in my tank I don't get condensation unless my humidity is above 90%

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:38 pm

NLindsey921 wrote:Well in my tank I don't get condensation unless my humidity is above 90%
True it may work for you, but it doesn't work for everyone. ;) The only proper way is to get a gauge, condensation is not accurate enough to give a true reading.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:05 pm

Yep. That's why i rely more on my gauge then condensation. It's just something that i noticed. I'm not trying to say it's reliable. It's just something that happens in my tank.

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:14 pm

Aussiejjdude I think you misunderstood- she has gauges in her tank and she noticed she only has condensation when the reading on the gauge is above 90%.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:59 am

Hermiearth wrote:Aussiejjdude I think you misunderstood- she has gauges in her tank and she noticed she only has condensation when the reading on the gauge is above 90%.

Nah understood. I just don't want others reading this and feeling that condensation occurs at 90% for everyone. In my previous setups, it could be 70% when condensation usually started, but in my current tank it has to be almost "raining" (100%) before I notice areas. :)

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:00 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
Hermiearth wrote:Aussiejjdude I think you misunderstood- she has gauges in her tank and she noticed she only has condensation when the reading on the gauge is above 90%.

Nah understood. I just don't want others reading this and feeling that condensation occurs at 90% for everyone. In my previous setups, it could be 70% when condensation usually started, but in my current tank it has to be almost "raining" (100%) before I notice areas. :)
Ohhhh gotcha

TheLayla420

Post by TheLayla420 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:41 pm

Where can I buy command strips??? :crabbigsmile: :crabblush:
Layla