Has Anyone Successfully Bred Hermit Crabs?

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
CrabKid123

Has Anyone Successfully Bred Hermit Crabs?

Post by CrabKid123 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:35 am

I have done some research online and it looks like few people have been able to get hermit crabs to breed, or live past the zoea stage. Has anybody here been successful in breeding hermit crabs from the Zoea stage, all the way to adulthood?

HeyItsEggs

Re: Has Anyone Successfully Bred Hermit Crabs?

Post by HeyItsEggs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:23 am

I haven't but most recently @Renroc has. I think wolfnipplechips got hers to land but I am not sure. Oh yeah and Curlz got her's to land as well

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Sophia aka "Eggs"
Four PPs, Rio, Rolo, Curlz and Malibu in a 40 gallon
May they rest in peace- Mango- 1/13/17 and Stefanio- 1/10/17

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:26 am

Hi Crabkid123. Yep there are about half a dozen of us who have crabs to land. Natalie van Amstel in Australia has 3 and 4 yr olds she has raised from zoea. Mine are 4 months old but the 12 I have are doing well. Curlz has had a number of batches of different species and Naddalie? Spelling has also raised some. I'm sure there are a few others as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:53 pm

HeyItsEggs wrote:I think wolfnipplechips got hers to land but I am not sure. Oh yeah and Curlz got her's to land as well

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If you read through the thread they all died in the glaucothoes stage.
wolfnipplechips wrote:Just wanted to say all my babies are dead. talked to my husband last night and he said as of Aug 10th morning, none were alive. He said he checked thoroughly. :( The glaucothoes never lasted more than a couple days (maybe not the right food).

Maybe next year. I know stuff I will do different, so that's good. That was my original goal- to learn as much as possible! :)

As for all you thread-jackers, you should probably take your convos elsewhere. I don't mind it being on here, personally, but there is a rule about thread-jacking. ;)

So thanks SO MUCH to all of you for your support during these 4 weeks. It has helped me a lot. :) I appreciate it. Someday, I will have baby pics like Curlz! :D Who is pretty much my new hero. :lol:
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/