My gecko's lunch have found a new home...?

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
LadyJinglyJones

My gecko's lunch have found a new home...?

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:06 pm

Sooooo.... any real problem with having a pair of crickets living in a large crab tote? It seems that two of my gecko's somehow got in there. One is female, but I couldn't get a look at the other... I'm sort of hoping I don't have a breeding pair.... :dunno:
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My gecko's lunch have found a new home...?

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:38 pm

Um...you might want to find them!! If they are a breeding pair they will take over the crabitat in no time! We brought in several anoles years ago during a "cold" winter we had. The crickets eventually took over the cage. Worked out great really, because it supplied the anoles with food. When it was time to let the anoles go I kept the tank as a cricket breeding tank for my stepdaughter's tarantula, and let hundreds of crickets go in the meantime. It was actually fun watching them. I loved listening to them too!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:48 pm

Yeeeeeaahhhh.... they hide in a scruffy cork half-round... pretty sure I'd have to destroy half of it to get bot of them.

In your experience, how well does crossing one's fingers work where there's a 50/50 chance of mayhem?
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:51 pm

Freeze it? I hate to see them suffer, but better than your crabitat possibly crawling with crickets!

LOL! I have OCD, I don't take chances... ;)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:08 pm

GAAAAAAAH.

Juse checked it out, thinking, I'd try to get one of them at least.... DEFINATELY A BREEDING PAIR.

So many crickets. I don't mind insects, you understand, but this has clearly been going on for some time. There were about 20 matures, but only one juvie that I could see. .. which means there are A LOT more juveniles. Eesh.

I guess it makes sense... Cockroaches were once grouped with ornithoptera, the order crickets belong to (before they got their own order, blatodea)... good to know the adage holds true for their distant cousins, too:

Where there's one, there's hundreds. :smt087

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:23 pm

Oh geez! In the tote???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon May 01, 2017 6:18 am

Oh no!!! I thought that this had just happened! I would try to get this under control asap!! Good luck!

Topic author
LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Mon May 01, 2017 2:24 pm

Freezin' the log. I feel kinda bad about snuffin' them, but that was waaaay too many crickets. One or two more breeding cycles and the tote really would have been overrun.

I kind of can't belive it got that far before I noticed... but the log is what I consider a special crab sanctum where I don't go. And the crickets were chilling mostly inside. Also, the tote isn't easy to see into, so I only get a good look when I open it to change food & water.

I'm just worried that I don't know how they got inside in the first place, sooooo. .... hm.

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Mon May 01, 2017 3:37 pm

lol crickets are weird- I find them everywhere at this point, luckily none have gotten in the crabitats (knock on wood)

Topic author
LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Mon May 01, 2017 4:56 pm

Yeah, I have escapees all the time, and vacuum up a fair number of dead crickets periodically. Nothing much for them to eat outside the crickitarium.

But. What. Were. They. Doing. Inside. ?! :shock: (Psycho shower scene music)

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Mon May 01, 2017 5:02 pm

Bahahahaha

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon May 01, 2017 5:05 pm

Keep an eye on the crabitote - crickets lay eggs in the substrate. So...you might have another bunch hatch soon. Hopefully not though! Good luck!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon May 01, 2017 8:28 pm

Oh noes! Crickets overrunning the tank would be super annoying.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue May 02, 2017 3:44 am

GotButterflies wrote:Keep an eye on the crabitote - crickets lay eggs in the substrate. So...you might have another bunch hatch soon. Hopefully not though! Good luck!
Oh I'm SURE there will be more. Insects are really good at this game. They've got a real evolutionary lock down on existing.