I think I have mites, but everyone is molting

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
erin.leaman

I think I have mites, but everyone is molting

Post by erin.leaman » Tue May 09, 2017 5:56 pm

I think I have mites, I've seen tiny white bugs crawling around the habitat, as well as on the shells of the crabs. But all of my hermit crabs are molting (except one, and I'm deeply concerned about him becoming depressed!) How do I get rid of them without disturbing the crabs? Will I just have to wait until all 3 of them surface?
Bands, Dreamcatchers, and Hermit crabs

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I think I have mites, but everyone is molting

Post by GotButterflies » Tue May 09, 2017 7:05 pm

Okay...so you might have food mites or springtails. Neither one is a big deal. Those types of bugs are normal for crabitats. Cut down on moist food. Feed only dry foods - and only at night. Remove food in the morning. Isopods can help with the problem because they compete for food sources. I'm on my phone- but you can check the forum called What's that bug to determine what you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I think I have mites, but everyone is molting

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue May 09, 2017 7:47 pm

Are you sure the mites are in fact harmful? They might just be food mites which are common in homes, abd concentrate in our tanks due to the high humidity heat and food...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies