Bringing home the newest member of the family...

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Bringing home the newest member of the family...

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:43 pm

Arizona Mountain King!Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

HeyItsEggs

Re: Bringing home the newest member of the family...

Post by HeyItsEggs » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:36 pm

Beauty!
Sophia aka "Eggs"
Four PPs, Rio, Rolo, Curlz and Malibu in a 40 gallon
May they rest in peace- Mango- 1/13/17 and Stefanio- 1/10/17

daws409

Post by daws409 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:45 pm

Absolutely stunning! Glad for you BUT I hate snakes!!! They give me the ebbie jeebies. Sorry lol

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:19 pm

OMGEEEEEEEEEE! SO PRETTY. I love. :love:: :love:: :love::
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:59 pm

It's totally okay if they aren't your thing! Thank you for not being disrespectful even though you don't like them. :)

He is a blast! He came from the local pet shop, and had belonged to the owner until she decided to downsize. Super friendly and curious, he was always out cruising no matter when we stopped in for something. When my husband asked if I wanted him I literally jumped for joy, I'd been visiting with him for months. I like outgoing and personable snakes, and they're not exactly easy to find since breeders tend to be hands off and keep them in racks. We got our first snake from her for the same reasons, and he's been incredible.

I swear this one is solar powered, when the lights are on he doesn't stop moving and when it got dark he settled in right where he was! They said he did the same thing at the store.

Having a little trouble finding a lot of info on his specific species. They don't seem to be too common these days, or they don't give anyone trouble, one of the two. He's also surprisingly tiny. Maybe 3.5 feet long but no thicker than sisal roping. Really slight build, reminds me of garter snakes. :) The photo was him on a half-sheet of paper towel, so not a big guy at all, and he's four years old and pretty much full grown!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:01 pm

Wow Wode!!! He is HANDSOME!!! Bright and colorful! Congratulations!!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:24 pm

So beautiful. I love snakes and eventually want to get some but my daughter is currently terrified of them

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:48 am

i want... if only family wasnt so phobic and allowed '1' more tank, it would go to a lovely snake. congrats on the new addition wod.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:30 am

Ooooh! He's beautiful!
I don't think I would ever want to care for a snake but I love being able to watch other people care for them (if that even makes sense lol) - kind of how I really only like cats if they don't live in my house. :hlol:

I'd love to see what kind of habitat you have set up for him some time!

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:10 pm

I didn't think I could do a snake either, but my friend talked me through everything, and let me come in for a feeding before we decided on our first. I cried the first few feedings (still do sometimes) but they have to eat, too, and with frozen it's humane. We currently have five, this Sonoran/Arizona Mountain King, Stanley the Florida King, Ember the corn, and Perry & Alex the ball pythons. I had another corn and king that have both passed.

Anyway, his enclosure isn't done yet. We're in the middle of moving my critter room into a much bigger space. Like three times bigger. I have to start collecting or making more decor. He doesn't have his moist hide yet because it needs drilled out, or his basking stone (slate over the UTH, they seem to love that) but we should be done in a few days. Lots of lifting, and my husband has to use the power tools, so I'm trying not to wear him out every day!Image

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:52 pm

What a gorgeous snake, Wode! That's great that he has a good personality, friendly snakes are awesome! I have a friendly snake story for you. My sister has had corn snakes forever, and she has a few other snakes now as well. My favorite was an orangeish red cornsnake named Sherbert. She was a cute little snake, always interested in people, easy to handle and with a good personality. Sometimes for her out-of-tank time, my sister would carry her around in her hair, kind of like a bun decoration. One day we were sitting at the table, and Sherbert decided to investigate the kitchen chandelier. All of a sudden I notice that there's about 2 feet of snake coming out of her head and stretching towards the kitchen light fixture. I didn't understand what I was seeing at first, and I had forgotten that she had the snake out, so I jump up and yell, and my sister looks at me like I'm nuts and asks, "What's wrong?". I told her "Sherbert is leaving!" So she found Sherbert a nice branch to climb instead.
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:22 pm

What kind of Florida king snake do you have? I've seen the black and white kind and the kind that looks similar to coral snakes. I love the looks of both kinds! :) We also call them milk snakes here. Are they different or the same?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:19 pm

I love that story!!!!

Florida are black and yellow with varying patterns, or slightly off those colors due to selective breeding. California kings can be black and white, and milk snakes are technically a subspecies of kings. There are something like two dozen subspecies, different locations have different colors, and breeding has produced new ones.

This is Stan. He's a snot. His coloration used to be known as a subspecies called Brooks Kings, but it's been determined they are just regular old Florida Kings that all show up the same color in the same area. :)Image

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:26 am

What a neat coloration! I've only been familiar with the regular black and white king snakes. Didn't know they came in such a great variety.
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:59 pm

heheheh... You called your snake a snot. I don't know why, but that seems funny to me. A bratty snake seems like a character in a kid's illustrated book. :)
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(