Humidity problem, Need help asap

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
jfs

Humidity problem, Need help asap

Post by jfs » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:05 pm

YIKKKEEESSS! My humidity is below 20%, ive tried everything! I got a reptifogger and wasnt sure if i could use it! The tank fills up with humidity, like really bad fog. Is this ok? or do I need to find another way?
you know what to do when life gets you down? just keep swiming, swiming, swiming, what do we do we swim!

2-hermit crabs
1-snake
5- veild chameleons
1-tortoise

RIP-Steve my little shelled friend.

emberfusion

Re: Humidity problem, Need help asap

Post by emberfusion » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:11 pm

The fogger is supposed to create fog!

To better help you out, make sure you fill out the help request template: here
Or I can post it here for you as well. :)
1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:20 pm

Also- have you calibrated your hydrometer? Where do you live? 20% is low even for location humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:22 pm

Calibrate! There is an article in rhe Care Guide section as to how. Your hydrometer has something wrong with it. The fog should make it jump to over 90% if it was working right.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
jfs

Post by jfs » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:46 pm

Well the substarte is a 50-50 sand/coconut fiber and it is 3" deep.

I have a dual humidity and thermometer guage. (around 65/75)

I have a small heat bulb (75 watt) and a night heat bulb also 75 watt.

I have salt and fresh water, conditioners are by zoomed.

Thd zoomed hermit crab food, changed daily.

I have owned my crabs for over 3 weeks now, I think they are atlantic hermits.

They have never molted.

They are in a 10 gallon tank in my closet with my tortoise and 6 other reptiles ((1)Snake and (5)chameleons).

3 crabs under 1"

3 shells

No fumes or anything.

I clean it with a spray bottel with water in it every week.

2 sponges

Nothing new lately.

I give them baths weekly

I have a tortoise tank on the floor, a snake tank over the tortoise tank, then the hermits over the snake, then 3 chameleon cages next to those. I have a monsoon and a reptifogger, but the monsoon is for chameleons. I work for my dad over the summer so I could buy a mist king if i need too. Changeing the hermits to a 40 gallon so it isnt so small for them. Also changeing the substrate to 6".
you know what to do when life gets you down? just keep swiming, swiming, swiming, what do we do we swim!

2-hermit crabs
1-snake
5- veild chameleons
1-tortoise

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:05 pm

jfs wrote:Well the substarte is a 50-50 sand/coconut fiber and it is 3" deep.

H: Sub needs to be a minimum of 6 inches or 3x the height of your largest crab, whichever is deeper. This will help with humidity as well but it is absolutely crucial for successful molts. You can add 1" per 24 hours or if nobody is under yu can add all at once.

H: So analog? I don't recommend analog as they tend to go wonky- I use digital. You also can't calibrate analog I don't think? Heat should be a minimum of 80.

H: Heat bulbs will also zap humidity. Most use the ultratherms from reptilebasics.com- stuck on using reflectix tape and insulated if needed.

H: Zoomed conditioners don't work, use prime for a declorinator and instant ocean as a salt mix, remember to dechlorinate salt mix as well.

H: Toss the pellets, these are awful for your crabs. Check out the HCA feeding guides- super helpful.

They have never molted.

H: If you want to make sure they can successfully molt and live to there full potential- you will need to add the sub, the deeper the betterImage

They are in a 10 gallon tank in my closet with my tortoise and 6 other reptiles ((1)Snake and (5)chameleons).

H: The HCA recommends 1 crab per 5 gallons, they are probably ok for now if they are small but just keep in mind you will need to upgrade as they grow (they will grow quickly)

3 crabs under 1"

3 shells

H: The HCA recommend 3 shells per hermit crab, there are good shells and bad shells- check out the shell guide.
No fumes or anything.

H: is this water dechlorinated? You spray down the glass?

2 sponges

H: Sponges are actually not necessary, make sure that your that your bowls are deep enough for them to fully submerge and fill there shells with a safe way out. You can also add bubblers to your pools- they do wonders for humidity.

Nothing new lately.

I give them baths weekly

H: Bathing is not recommended, it can really stress crabs out and do more harm than good.

I have a tortoise tank on the floor, a snake tank over the tortoise tank, then the hermits over the snake, then 3 chameleon cages next to those. I have a monsoon and a reptifogger, but the monsoon is for chameleons. I work for my dad over the summer so I could buy a mist king if i need too. Changeing the hermits to a 40 gallon so it isnt so small for them. Also changeing the substrate to 6".

H: Oh perfect so you are already making improvements! Make sure to do the sub ASAP so if one needs to mold they aren't forced to do it on the surface. I would recommend buying a glass top for that 40g to keep in heat and humidity, as well as doing everything I listed above so that your crabs can live long happy livesImage And welcome to the HCA!

I responded to the template using H

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:49 pm

Hello! Welcome to the HCA! I replied with GB for GotButterflies :butterfly::
Hermiearth wrote:
jfs wrote:Well the substarte is a 50-50 sand/coconut fiber and it is 3" deep.

H: Sub needs to be a minimum of 6 inches or 3x the height of your largest crab, whichever is deeper. This will help with humidity as well but it is absolutely crucial for successful molts. You can add 1" per 24 hours or if nobody is under yu can add all at once.

GB: Agree with above. Also make sure it is mixed with dechlorinated marine salt water or dechlorinated freshwater to be make the substrate sandcastle consistency. I personally did all three of mine with the marine saltwater.

H: So analog? I don't recommend analog as they tend to go wonky- I use digital. You also can't calibrate analog I don't think? Heat should be a minimum of 80.

GB: Analog is fine, just make sure you calibrate it. Then you can determine if it is of or not. I know there was a post earlier about calibration. I personally love the Acurite gauge at Walmart $8 - tells humidity and temperature currently and the low and high for the past 24 hours. They are in the home improvement section by the air filters.

H: Heat bulbs will also zap humidity. Most use the ultratherms from reptilebasics.com- stuck on using reflectix tape and insulated if needed.

GB: www.reptilebasics.com or www.beanfarm.com have great ultratherms. Hermit crabs need the humidity to breathe, so it is important that humidity does stay minimum of 80 or above.

H: Zoomed conditioners don't work, use prime for a declorinator and instant ocean as a salt mix, remember to dechlorinate salt mix as well.

GB: I believe the zoomed water conditioner is okay. You need a dechlornator that removes chlorine, chloramine and neutralizes ammonia and heavy metals. Most of us do use Prime. As far as the salt water, you need one that mimics the ocean. The zoomed brand for that is not sufficient. Most of us use Instant Ocean. That is what hobbyists use for saltwater fishtanks. It has the essential trace elements that hermit crabs need. A lot of products marketed for hermit crabs are not any good.

H: Toss the pellets, these are awful for your crabs. Check out the HCA feeding guides- super helpful.

GB: Safe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92557
Unsafe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92556
Food pyramid: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92554
Commercial food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92555

They have never molted.

H: If you want to make sure they can successfully molt and live to there full potential- you will need to add the sub, the deeper the betterImage

H: The HCA recommends 1 crab per 5 gallons, they are probably ok for now if they are small but just keep in mind you will need to upgrade as they grow (they will grow quickly)

3 crabs under 1"

3 shells

H: The HCA recommend 3 shells per hermit crab, there are good shells and bad shells- check out the shell guide.

GB: HCA actually recommends 3-5 shells per crab. I personally recommend more. It never hurts to have more :) Here is the shell guide: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 24&t=92552

No fumes or anything.

H: is this water dechlorinated? You spray down the glass?

GB: Definitely make sure you only use dechlorinated water. Please don't do this though, because you can accidentally cause flooding at the very bottom of your tank. All you need to do to clean your tank is clean up poop and spilled food.

2 sponges

H: Sponges are actually not necessary, make sure that your that your bowls are deep enough for them to fully submerge and fill there shells with a safe way out. You can also add bubblers to your pools- they do wonders for humidity.

Nothing new lately.

I give them baths weekly

H: Bathing is not recommended, it can really stress crabs out and do more harm than good.

GB: Agreed! Bathing is an OLD practice. Their water pools in their crabitat should be deep enough for them to fully submerge on their own, and they should be able to safely get out of them too. Please stop bathing asap.

H: Oh perfect so you are already making improvements! Make sure to do the sub ASAP so if one needs to mold they aren't forced to do it on the surface. I would recommend buying a glass top for that 40g to keep in heat and humidity, as well as doing everything I listed above so that your crabs can live long happy livesImage And welcome to the HCA!

I responded to the template using H

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:22 pm

With a heavy duty fogger you could end up flooding the substrate in the hermit tank. It's better to control humidity using other methods like proper substrate, moss pits, or sealing up the tank first. With the Chams right there and it being a small space it has to be your gauge that is broken. If you're misting the chams on schedule and are monitoring their humidity there is no way the hermit tank would be sinking so low.

And just because I've seen too many chams and torts die or end up disfigured by really bad pet store advice - are you also getting advice about them through a good forum? They both need UVB lighting that is set up correctly and specific supplements and diets or they end up with horrific illnesses that can leave them in severe pain or kill them. Not trying to judge, just want to make sure you are aware!!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:32 am

Wode has a ton of reptiles!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
jfs

Post by jfs » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:51 am

Lol, I have uva uvb for my torts and chams, both get reptihash super calcium, I know about MBD and what can happen if you don't have uvb/uva. Don't worry I LOVE reptiles and always get them what they need. I did 3 months of studying before I got Jen and Bil! (1 pair of chams). Now I have stan and Jeremy and ANGRY Jojo! Can't for get old Ellie (I used to LOVE tortoises more then anything! I decided I was going to work and get one)! Got the 40 gallon today, and 6 packs of the reptisand/cocofiber. Almost got a new veild cham XD Jojo needs a mating friend, lol!

2-hermit crabs
1-snake
5- veild chameleons
1-tortoise

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:27 pm

Great!! So happy to hear it!! :)

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:21 pm

Wait- is reptisand the same as cocofiber?

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:22 pm

Sorry I meant is it the same and calcisand

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:58 pm

Yes, it is.