Mites, mites, mites

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Cumberland

Mites, mites, mites

Post by Cumberland » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:59 pm

For the last few days while I've been doing my usual crab routine I have noticed little brown mites crawling on their food shell. The first time I noticed I emptied the shell and took it to wash it. I kept that one out, and gave them a different shell for food. Now it's two days later and the mites are on the new food shell!
I only use dried foods, and I've checked out the section on mites that is already posted. From what I read I believe they are mesostigmata because they are very small, brown, and they move pretty fast. From my understanding they only swarm food when there is a larger amount, but I don't put out a ton for them to eat, maybe a teaspoons worth, and I throw out old food every night.
I would just like a few other opinions! Thank you!

Hermiearth

Re: Mites, mites, mites

Post by Hermiearth » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:29 pm

They are totally harmless. You can add isopods (pill bugs, rolly pollys etc.) for a competitive colony for the mites, they will clean up scraps the crabs drag away and reduce the mite population. They are also a food source for the crabs and are relatively cute which is always an added bonus. There are some good isopod guides on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:59 pm

Agreed...sounds like food mites. Totally harmless. Totally normal. :)

Bugs in the crabitats: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 26&t=92537
Mites: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 67&t=92530
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Cumberland

Post by Cumberland » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:43 pm

Thanks for the extra opinions!!
The helpful knowledge is always appreciated! :)