Couple of questions about my crabitat

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
krbrown2000

Couple of questions about my crabitat

Post by krbrown2000 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:47 pm

I'm a new crab person (along with my son), and have had my crabs about three weeks or so. When we first got them, we used pretty colored sand we bought at the pet store. The crab poop was easy to see, and I just scooped it up with a wet paper towel. But now I've put the brown coconut soil down, and I can't find the poop to remove it. Any suggestions? Is the only answer to just scoop out the top layer of the soil every so often?

Second question: I seem to have small flying insects in the tank. Not a lot, just a few (so far). I've researched it and found out about fungus gnats, but I've read you can also get fruit flies. These are more brown (rather than black) and my guess is they're fruit flies. Someone mentioned hanging double-sided tape inside the tank. Where can I get that? Do I use special tape, regular insect tape, or can I use the stuff you put on furniture to keep cats from scratching it? (I may actually have some of that stashed somewhere).

I've also heard about the mites you can put in to catch the gnats, but, once the gnats are gone, how do you get rid of the mites? That's the only thing that worries me about using the mites.

Thanks in advance!

Kimberly

EPAS

Re: Couple of questions about my crabitat

Post by EPAS » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:50 pm

Here's what I read about setting up a crabitat.
You are using incorrect sand. You need to use play sand and eco earth mixed to a 5:1 ratio. 5 parts play sand to 1 part eco earth. Mix the sand and eco earth with declorinated saltwater (Prime and Instant Ocean).
To assist with the poop and hidden food add pillbugs and springtsils.
I hope that someone with more knowledge can answer the bug question, but I believe that the bugs that are added To your tat will die off if there is nothing for them to eat.
Good Luck and enjoy crabbing !!!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:49 am

Hello!

The mites are H. Miles Mites they are beneficial mites. No need to get rid of them. They are expensive though.

The fungus gnats need to be taken care of promptly. Some use water bottles with a little bit of vinegar in them and a drop of dawn to trap the flies. I personally prefer the double sided tape- BUT - it has to be hung VERY carefully bc you do not want your crabs to get stuck on it. You can purchase it off of Amazon. I think they are made by a brand called safer. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
krbrown2000

Post by krbrown2000 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:53 am

Thanks everyone!

Actually, the sand I bought was hermit-crab specific, so I think it's okay (though it was extremely expensive). Maybe my ratios aren't right though. The sand pretty much got covered up by the coconut soil. I'll see if I can find some play sand.

I can't find Safer brand double-sided tape, on amazon or anywhere else. Even on the Safer website, all they have are "sticky stakes" which I know would not be good. One of my crabs does like to climb. Does anyone have a link to the double-sided tape? I may have to resort to trying the mites, and I know you said they are beneficial, but introducing bugs into the crabitat just freaks me out.

Thanks for all the help!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:30 am

krbrown2000 wrote:Thanks everyone!

Actually, the sand I bought was hermit-crab specific, so I think it's okay (though it was extremely expensive). Maybe my ratios aren't right though. The sand pretty much got covered up by the coconut soil. I'll see if I can find some play sand.

I can't find Safer brand double-sided tape, on amazon or anywhere else. Even on the Safer website, all they have are "sticky stakes" which I know would not be good. One of my crabs does like to climb. Does anyone have a link to the double-sided tape? I may have to resort to trying the mites, and I know you said they are beneficial, but introducing bugs into the crabitat just freaks me out.

Thanks for all the help!
Unfortunately the sand is not okay. Almost nothing sold for hermit crabs is actually suitable for use with them. The products are marketed for profit, not for the best interests of the crabs.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
krbrown2000

Post by krbrown2000 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:14 pm

I don't know if links work or not, but would something like this work to catch the fruit flies or fungus gnats (whichever they are)? It says it's pesticide free. If I hung it on the very top of the crabitat and didn't let it hang down too far...would it work?

https://www.amazon.com/Pic-FR10B-Sticky ... ect+ribbon

EOD-Crab

Post by EOD-Crab » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:10 pm

It is hard to understand exactly your substrate from first post. I see colored hermit crab sand, then put down coconut fiber. If you replaced the colored sand with just coconut fiber then it's fine for crabs but probably want to mix with clean sand soon. If you mixed that colored sand with the fiber not really good for the crabs.

I personally like a coconut fiber and play sand from Lowe's mix. Moistened with Instant Ocean saltwater.

Remember that a large amount of things sold for hermit crabs are not actually good for them. Sad but true.

We were all where you are at one point so please don't take any offense, we only hope that others can learn from our mistakes.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:51 pm

I would not use the fly tape. You can use the tape from the safer sticky stakes. Just don't use the stakes. But- only use this if you can keep them out of reach from your crabs. If not, use the water bottle trick I mentioned

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:06 am

Once set up properly your substrate will be self cleaning. Beneficial bacteria develop and that breaks down the poop.

Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.