I HAVE ZOEAE!!!!!

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

LadyJinglyJones

Re: I HAVE ZOEA!!!!!

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:08 pm

You can see it, but I'm doing the 'super-cool-guy' shoulder dance. Cause this is pretty lit.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:15 am

Wow!! What a neat setup! So sorry u lost some of the babies in the MSW but at the same time looks like you saved numerous ones as well! What is the black cord thing on the right lower corner and why do you need so many jars?? Are the jars to keep the extra water heated for water changes? Very cool and so excited for you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:49 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Ty! I was able to buy some today at a specialty aquarium store that was closed yesterday in a nearby city. :) They also had airstones! :)
Excellent! Have the brine shrimp started to hatch this morning? Once they start to eat them, you will probably see the zoeae start to get a little orange. :cloud9:

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:21 am

LadyJinglyJones wrote:You can see it, but I'm doing the 'super-cool-guy' shoulder dance. Cause this is pretty lit.
LOL!!! :hlol:
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:22 am

Kermie16 wrote:Wow!! What a neat setup! So sorry u lost some of the babies in the MSW but at the same time looks like you saved numerous ones as well! What is the black cord thing on the right lower corner and why do you need so many jars?? Are the jars to keep the extra water heated for water changes? Very cool and so excited for you!!
Ty! The black cord in the back is the cord going to my little msw tank set up next to it.

Yes, the mason jars are to acclimate the msw to the right temp for future water changes :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:24 am

mlakers wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:
Ty! I was able to buy some today at a specialty aquarium store that was closed yesterday in a nearby city. :) They also had airstones! :)
Excellent! Have the brine shrimp started to hatch this morning? Once they start to eat them, you will probably see the zoeae start to get a little orange. :cloud9:
Ty for your advice mlakers!!! You have been amazing! Is zoeae how you say it for multiple zoea? I didn't see any brine shrimp this morning!

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:36 am

Day 3: Woke up this morning to cloudy water. I was panicking that the zoea were dead, but when I removed the air stone they were happily moving! Boy did I breathe a huge sigh of relief!! I fed them more brine shrimp eggs. Turned the UVB light back on for them. I have a UVB light over the top of them. :)

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:04 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
mlakers wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:
Ty for your advice mlakers!!! You have been amazing! Is zoeae how you say it for multiple zoea? I didn't see any brine shrimp this morning!
Yes, the plural. I had to look it up. :)

Maybe they ATE all the brine shrimp!

NeWbE123

Post by NeWbE123 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:30 pm

YAY

Mischievous, vincent and newest baby Hercules

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:58 pm

End of Day 4: Exhausting! Just a busy day in general for me right now with life!

The Zoeae were fine this morning...went about life as normal...then this evening I kind of panicked...when I removed the air stone the Zoeae weren't moving like they normally do. The water was a little cloudy. After about a minute they started moving again, so it just must have been the bubbles. (Or me trying to find things to panic about!) Mlakers is right...it's really hard not to worry about these guys. You really want to try to do everything right by them. This experience has made me feel like a new crab owner again...Anyways...I just put them to bed...time to relax :cloud9:

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:29 am

Beginning of Day 6: Sorry, been busy! I'm not doing well at keeping up with stages, but I know they definitely have shed. I've been continuing feeding brine shrimp eggs twice a day, and when they hatch I have left them in there. Water temp at 78, UVB lighting. I also switched their water to Instant Ocean Reef Salt to see if the extra calcium helps.

I also had set up a separate mason jar a couple of days ago with zoeae to try using a product called cycle (biological booster). So far that jar is doing well too.

Still haven't gotten a special lens for my camera. Sorry! Have a great day everyone! :cloud9:

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:44 pm

Excellent news! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your success!!

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:46 pm

mlakers wrote:Excellent news! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your success!!
Thanks! I'm following in your footsteps! :)

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:52 pm

End of Day 6: This evening I combined the Cycle mason jar zoeae with the gallon fish tank zoeae. The cycle jar water was much clearer than the gallon fish tank. Could it be that I'm using Cycle or that it has less zoeae? I don't know! But, being that there hasn't been any life loss, I'm going to start using Cycle in the gallon jar. I with held feeding them tonight - still lots of brine shrimp eggs in there. Some brine shrimp too...

I did witness a zoea shed too. That was neat. I was looking through the magnifying glass looking for zoea that went with the water change and it was on the bottom of the mason jar. It was just laying there. I thought it was dead. All of a sudden it kind of shook, and then it had a piece of skin come off of it. That was neat.

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:29 pm

SO exciting. And no casualties??? What would you do with so many crabs