Succulents in my tank

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
TheCrabLord

Succulents in my tank

Post by TheCrabLord » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:21 am

So I was wondering if I could put some non spiky succulents in my tank. I have a bunch that I basically planted (i had cuts and they grew roots) I was wondering if they'd do okay in my tank, and be safe for my crabs. Since they obviously grow in the desert, they'd do fine under heat and being planted in sand, but I'm wondering if the crabs would eat them and over all destroy them, and if the succulents would be okay in the humidity if I don't water them at all and safe for my crabs.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Succulents in my tank

Post by wodesorel » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:23 am

I do not know about safety, but I can say that I never got mine to grow in terrariums. I think the light levels are too low as even in my desert leopard gecko tanks they would always drop leaves in a few weeks and die. In my African Fat Tailed tank which is very similar to a crab tank, the roots rotted out in a couple of weeks.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:51 am

wodesorel wrote:I do not know about safety, but I can say that I never got mine to grow in terrariums. I think the light levels are too low as even in my desert leopard gecko tanks they would always drop leaves in a few weeks and die. In my African Fat Tailed tank which is very similar to a crab tank, the roots rotted out in a couple of weeks.
I was able to keep a succulent in my crabitat. It did die though, I forgot to put it back in after rearranging.
Thinking about putting another one in there.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

lovemycrabbies

Post by lovemycrabbies » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:47 am

The issue I have had is that the humidity levels are too high for most succulents. Have you considered air plants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
75 Gallon
3 coenobita clypeatus & 2 coenobita compressus

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:10 pm

Or even rainforest succulents, such as the christmas cactus? Most succulents prefer a drier environment, and as a result does not make an appropriate choice in the crabitat... Many have also had success with the jade plant.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:53 am

I think someone mentioned growing an aloe plant in their crabitat, I'd just looks up care for it and adjust accordingly.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:11 pm

I'm attempting grape vine in a magnitized potter on the side of the tank. I'm hoping it's toughness will translate into success. I suspect most succulents would get mangled even if they could be grown in high humidity.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:00 pm

I have had the most success with mosses and airplants. Succulents would be interesting though, post back if it ends up doing well

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:57 am

I love succulents! There is so much misinformation on the internet about them! They love light - just not direct sun!!!! The secret to them is making sure they have the right amount of water to the light they receive. I have a lot of succulents here at my house. I water and fertilize mine once a week (Water them at night). If they start to look a little dingy - perk them up with a little cold coffee - no sugar or creamer added. (Obviously don't do that if they are in an environment where an animal will eat them.)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:01 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I love succulents! There is so much misinformation on the internet about them! They love light - just not direct sun!!!! The secret to them is making sure they have the right amount of water to the light they receive. I have a lot of succulents here at my house. I water and fertilize mine once a week (Water them at night). If they start to look a little dingy - perk them up with a little cold coffee - no sugar or creamer added. (Obviously don't do that if they are in an environment where an animal will eat them.)
Omg! Coffee?! My succulents and I can bond over our mutual enjoyment of coffee in the morning!?! They're all in the sunroom, where I have my morning coffee! And I never thought to offer them any! :hlol:

Also, christmas cactus is one I'd never considered. .. my mum has a pretty gangly one, maybe I'll ask her for a clipping!
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:50 am

LadyJinglyJones wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:I love succulents! There is so much misinformation on the internet about them! They love light - just not direct sun!!!! The secret to them is making sure they have the right amount of water to the light they receive. I have a lot of succulents here at my house. I water and fertilize mine once a week (Water them at night). If they start to look a little dingy - perk them up with a little cold coffee - no sugar or creamer added. (Obviously don't do that if they are in an environment where an animal will eat them.)
Omg! Coffee?! My succulents and I can bond over our mutual enjoyment of coffee in the morning!?! They're all in the sunroom, where I have my morning coffee! And I never thought to offer them any! :hlol:

Also, christmas cactus is one I'd never considered. .. my mum has a pretty gangly one, maybe I'll ask her for a clipping!
Yes! My beautiful mother in law taught me this secret! She had two of the most GORGEOUS Christmas Cactus plants that I had ever seen, as well as Jade. The coffee can't have anything added to it, and needs to be cold. :) I say had because she passed a year and a half ago. I have 2 of her cacti. However...I have several succulents around my house. They are my favorite type of plant! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Da_Stos208

Post by Da_Stos208 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:45 pm

I've heard Pothos has been used succesfully used before (or at least I think it was Pothos). Aloe would rot in the high humidity; they need to have rheir soil dry comoletly between waterings. When I first got mine, I watered once a week, and even that caused the roots to rot. It rook hours of plant-surgury with an exacto knife to cut away all the rotten roots.
Don't worry, it pulled through though! But yeah. Aloe in the tank wouldnt do well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:14 pm

LJJ, christmas cactus is a tip from the terrarium boards, which work well in heavily misted/wet environments. And since they somewhat an epiphyte, can be placed higher up closer to the light and give shade below... plus pretty flowers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:07 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:

You're hilarious!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Hungrytree

Succulents in my tank

Post by Hungrytree » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:57 am

Sorry. This post was an accident but I can’t delete it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk