Best store (online or IRL) to get Eccies?

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
tofuthecrabmom

Best store (online or IRL) to get Eccies?

Post by tofuthecrabmom » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:48 pm

I had three Ecuadorians years ago and I really loved them, so I've been looking for some more (they sadly passed away due to a pesticide company mishap that ended up killing my entire crab population at the time). I've had no luck in local pet stores, and even pet stores in surrounding bigger cities. Is there any reliable place to get them online or should I try asking a local pet store if they can order some specifically for me?

Also sorry if this is in the wrong place, I looked and looked and decided this was the best place for this inquiry? I'm pretty new to the forum ;~;
~ current mom of 3 PPs and 2 dogs ~

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Best store (online or IRL) to get Eccies?

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:58 pm

You could ask a local store... Just be prepared to have blank faces - a crab is a crab to them. Other than that, maybe a drive around 'town' and stop at a few places to see if any are in other stores?

Unfortently, a lot of online stores seem to be bad businesses and I personally would never encourage one to shop with them.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:35 pm

Welcome to the HCA!

I don't recommend any online stores, or shipping...
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
tofuthecrabmom

Post by tofuthecrabmom » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:14 am

yeah, I’ve been doing some research and haven’t seen a single good place to order from, and I know that shipping is costly for me monetarily and for the crabs because it's so stressful, so I kinda figured asking around would be the way to go. Thank you both, though!

I’ll see if I can somehow find a pet store that at least knows the difference between hermit crab types, or maybe I’ll get lucky and be able to adopt some!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:56 am

tofuthecrabmom wrote:yeah, I’ve been doing some research and haven’t seen a single good place to order from, and I know that shipping is costly for me monetarily and for the crabs because it's so stressful, so I kinda figured asking around would be the way to go. Thank you both, though!

I’ll see if I can somehow find a pet store that at least knows the difference between hermit crab types, or maybe I’ll get lucky and be able to adopt some!
If you are in the U.S., Petco seems to get E's often.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:04 pm

Just keep making the rounds and checking, if you ask they can tell you when new shipments come in.

My first Es were from a pet shop that I had just called to see if they had any Es. The girl claimed to know what they were and that they did not have any. My hubby convinced me to jump in the car 45 minutes before they closed for a 35 minute drive there "just for the fun of it". I got five of them! They had no idea what they were talking about.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:31 am

I have about 3 Petsmart’s around us. I have found only 1 guy in the reptile section who actually knows about hermit crabs and reptiles - he brings his bearded dragon to work:) So, he has gotten to know me and what I’m looking for in hermies. He told me they usually get shipments of hermies into their stores on Fridays so if he found any E’s (very rare occasion) he would let me know. So, definitely ask around :) I’m also frequenting the adoptions feed here on the HCA. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IceSpark

Post by IceSpark » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:28 am

The Petcos around here tend to get them, but it's hit or miss. A few years back one store had an entire tank full of them.

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:29 pm

Every summer, the Petco near me has many E’s
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
tofuthecrabmom

Post by tofuthecrabmom » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:21 am

this is super late but a new Petco opened up near my college campus and they carry E's! they classify them as the fancy hermit crabs though, which means most of them are in painted shells ;~; i bought two of them though, and the one that was in a painted shell almost immediately changed into a new natural one once he got settled in the tank, so everything is great!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:36 am

It took a while but you finally found them. Congrats!

I have been looking for two E's since probably May. We are trying to find our Eddie some buddies since Cha-ly, and Vic died. I've been trying the adoption search more than local shops. Unfortunately my being in a somewhat rural area it is rare anything pops up. To the shops a crab a crab, unless its in a painted shell then it's more money.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities