What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author

What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:35 pm

This thread is for sharing your crab’s favorite recipes and meals, and getting great ideas from other crabbers. Food photos are always great too.

This information will be archived every about every 6 months, so be sure to check the Food and Water archives for more great ideas.

Bon appetit!
Last edited by Guest on Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

CrabbyEmerson

What's on today's menu & recipe sharing -current

Post by CrabbyEmerson » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:17 pm

Tonight's dinner is dandelion leaves, orange peel, oats, almonds, walnuts, soybeans, freeze-dried cod, and river shrimp.

piratetoothgir

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:59 am

GotButterflies wrote:Image

For my 3 crabitats:
Organic pineapple, organic red pepper, sardines, organic boiled egg, multigrain cheerios, from my garden (100%organic): basil leaf, apple mint leaf, carrot top, jasmine flower, purple passionflower, kale Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that what my feedings should look like? I only have two crabs, and a single crabitat.

How often do you replace all that?
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:39 am

stellaplusrocky wrote:

For my 3 crabitats:
Organic pineapple, organic red pepper, sardines, organic boiled egg, multigrain cheerios, from my garden (100%organic): basil leaf, apple mint leaf, carrot top, jasmine flower, purple passionflower, kale Image

Is that what my feedings should look like? I only have two crabs, and a single crabitat.

Hello! Well...to each’s own, but I love to spoil my crabbies! I also have the time to do this. I change my food once a day. Some people do every other. Sometimes I do my mixes, but my crabs really love fresh food. I keep a lot of seafood in the freezer and just thaw it as needed. The rest comes rom my garden. :) I currently have 4 crabitats. I’m watching GabbyRaven’s crabs until summer.

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:41 am

GotButterflies wrote:
stellaplusrocky wrote:

For my 3 crabitats:

Hello! Well...to each’s own, but I love to spoil my crabbies! I also have the time to do this. I change my food once a day. Some people do every other. Sometimes I do my mixes, but my crabs really love fresh food. I keep a lot of seafood in the freezer and just thaw it as needed. The rest comes rom my garden. :) I currently have 4 crabitats. I’m watching GabbyRaven’s crabs until summer.

Cool! I am totally starting a garden this spring, once it's warm enough to plant things.
Crabber Since 2016

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:23 pm

Tonight, we have some organic fresh kale leaves, dried brine shrimp, and a bit of olive oil.

Tomorrow, I think I’ll do some banana chips, almond leaves, and egg yolks.
Crabber Since 2016

Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:05 pm

My crabs seem to be very picky - they're all about the sweets. Freeze-dried shrimp, carrots, lettuce, apples and bananas have all been ignored, from what I can tell. Blueberries, oatmeal and cranberries have had a little more success. But honey is what they really like. I'm not sure what to give them tonight, though. :| I have some Fluker's Powder Treat on the way, but it hasn't arrived yet. Fingers crossed it's here by the weekend!
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:22 pm

Tonight's Menu, we have:

Banana Chips
Roasted Watermelon Seeds
Coconut
Raspberries
Blueberries
Almond Leaves
Crabber Since 2016

Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:22 pm

Tonight is going to be our new Fluker's treat! We'll see how they like it. :crabbigsmile:
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Cooked Quaker's oatmeal, walnut meal, and then some honey a little later!
The previous menu I posted was a giant favorite, my moss pit molter had his first bites!
Crabber Since 2016

Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:00 pm

Baby dried shrimp, oats, dried seaweed, dried mango, cranberries and apple and their favourite... popcorn!

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:05 pm

Angel_crab wrote:Baby dried shrimp, oats, dried seaweed, dried mango, cranberries and apple and their favourite... popcorn!

Welcome to the HCA!
I didn't think I recognized you :)
Crabber Since 2016

Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:07 pm

stellaplusrocky wrote:
Angel_crab wrote:Baby dried shrimp, oats, dried seaweed, dried mango, cranberries and apple and their favourite... popcorn!

Welcome to the HCA!
I didn't think I recognized you :)
Thank you! I'm new here :)

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:56 pm

I'm going to be giving my crabs all natural chicken from Perdue. I always check the package at the store to make sure nothing has been added to it that could be harmful. Like sea salt, growth hormones, steroids or any chemicals. If any of that has been added to the meat, I do not buy it. I don't want to risk feeding my crabs raw meat that has had that stuff added to it. I also have some stuff coming from Hermie's Kitchen that is also important to their diet: Kelp Powder, Calendula Buds, Rose Petals and Buds, and Clover Blossoms. I'm wanting to make sure I'm hitting all parts of a land hermit crab's diet.

leah610

Post by leah610 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:19 pm

Tonight's dinner has been formulated by my boyfriend, who is quite nervous to see how the crabs will like it (even though they've had it all before, haha!) We've got pork bones, split open for marrow access, fresh apples, dried crickets from flukers, and fresh spinach, all topped with some dried coconut flakes