Baby Isopods

For everything isopod - breeding, keeping, and as clean up crews. Also known as pill bugs and rolly-pollies!

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Baby Isopods

Post by ErikRasmussen » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:42 pm

Image Image Image I win! Lol I hadn't seen babies at all yet and was ready to give up since i had a few die offs but now there is a 5 square inch area filled with babies isopods. Since I have such a small breeding container I am going to stick some in the tank so they don't get over crowded.

Also bonus, I accidentally bred a moth. I might put that in the tank too for food since it's snowing outside and idk what to do with it.ImageImage

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Re: Baby Isopods

Post by ErikRasmussen » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:24 pm

Jk my breeding tote is infested with babies. It looks like there have already been some baby die offs. I put a whole bunch of babies into the tank along with 5 adults. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:08 am

ErikRasmussen wrote:Image Image Image I win! Lol I hadn't seen babies at all yet and was ready to give up since i had a few die offs but now there is a 5 square inch area filled with babies isopods. Since I have such a small breeding container I am going to stick some in the tank so they don't get over crowded.

Also bonus, I accidentally bred a moth. I might put that in the tank too for food since it's snowing outside and idk what to do with it.ImageImage

I do not recommend putting a moth in the tank. A moth somehow gotten in my tank once and died in the water bowls. The crabs were very lethargic, and I didn't know why until I found a dead moth.

Edit: Whoops.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:46 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote: I do not recommend putting a moth in the tank. A moth somehow gotten in my tank once and died in the water bowls. The crabs were very lethargic, and I didn't know why until I found a dead moth.

Edit: Whoops.
It may not have been related to the dead moth.... correlation doesn't always equate to causation, and its easy to get swept up making assumptions about what we think we're witnessing. It's possible that the water became tainted & affected the crabs, but as someone who routinely finds dead woodlice in my pools, and doesn't have lethargic crabs (except when I do, because crabs have naturally varying activity/energy levels linked to their moulting cycle), I lean towards thinking a moth probably wasn't to blame. :)
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:33 am

Either way the cats got to the moth before the crabs did. Not sure if the isopods have taken yet. I wanted to put some oak/maple leaves in the tank for them but its too wintery outside lol