Crab fight and crab out of his shell!!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
SylysJ

Post by SylysJ » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:07 pm

We are new crab owner's. We purchased 3 crabs on new years day. Brought them home to a ready tank. One of them I think was trying to molt buy my 6 year old kept digging him up. I've tried to keep the humidity up to 80% and above but once it goes up within a few hours it drops to 50.

So one day I was changing the substrate out which was half coconut and the other side was sand. When I was done I put the crabs back in and the one that was burying himself and was sluggish list a leg when I put him back. So I thought he was starving and dying cause he hasn't satin anything in 2 weeks. So I put him in his food dish with fresh veggies and dried shrimp hoping he would eat. When I returned a few hours later there were claws and legs everywhere and his shell was gone. The other carb took his shell and found him curled in a corner not moving. I thought he was dead. It was late so I was gonna deal with him in the morning. When I woke he was twitching and then moved over by a log that's in the tank.

So he is alive but has no exoskeleton and lost 4 to5 limbs he has one little claw and some legs. He lost his big antennas in front too. I dipped him in distilled water and a new shell and put him in there. I was just trying to make him not scared and if he was going to pass it would be peacefully. I also corned off a section of the tank so the other crabs couldn't get him. He has food and water too. And now it is a week and he's still alive. He doesn't move much I think he's too week to move the shell.

At what point should I move him back into the tank? Oh and should I get him a separate iso tank?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crab fight!! And crab out of his shell!

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:40 pm

Hello, and welcome to the HCA!

When you get a chance, please fill this out. There has to be a reason why this happened. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46102

First of all - please do not change substrate. It is not necessary unless there is a bacterial bloom. Substrate needs to be at least a minimum of 6" or 3 times the height of your largest crab. Whichever is deepest wins. It needs to be that minimum the entire length of the tank. It needs to be mixed with dechlorinated marine saltwater or dechlorinated fresh water to make it sandcastle consistency.

Second of all - it is EXTREMELY important that when a crab digs down that it is NEVER dug up. It is imperative for crab survival that this advice is followed. I know your six year old may not understand it as well as you do. Contrary to pet store belief Hermit crabs are not great first pets. They are not easy, and they are really not a hands on pet. I'm really sorry that they are marketed that way.

This crab will need to be isolated for a long time. The legs will grow back, but it will take several molts. Please offer organic raw honey, calcium, and protein. Also offer dechlorinated fw and dechlorinated msw. All of these can be offered in bottle top caps.

Shells - the HCA recommends a minimum of 3 to 5 shells per crab to avoid shell fights. I personally recommend more. Here is a shell guide as to which kind crabs prefer: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=92552

Hope that helps. Be as hands off as possible. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
SylysJ

Post by SylysJ » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:16 am

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Eco earth and half sand and about 3". It was very dry so that's why I changed it and read I should mix in the sand and eco earth together.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
There is a single temp gauge on the cool side with the water and a temp and humidity on the warmer side and it's about an inch above the substrate. I try to keep it 78 to 83 and above 80 humidity. The humidity is hard we are in colorado it's very dry I spray it several times a day witgh distilled water and it still goes down to 50. We made a steel cover to put on top of the mesh lid to try to keep the moisture in.
3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? There is a duel light on top daylight and red and an u.t.h. I believe it's an 10watt.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Both fresh and salt. And I use zoo med conditioner and salt. Both are in 16oz bottle. I fill with water from our pur filter and 2 tsp of salt and 4 drops of condition per 16oz.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? I replace it every day veggies and fruit and dried shrimp that I mist with distilled water

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? 28 days and not sure if species but has a purple claw

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
No it was trying to.
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? A 10 gal. With mesh lid but we're trying to seal it.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 3 crabs 2 small 1 med.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? I think there is 5 right now

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? I've changed the substrate once cause it was completely dry.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? Yes I have a sponge in both dishes. And I rinse the off every other day.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? No since it's pretty new

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? So I've read so many different things. One thing is the calcium sand is bad? Also the uth I had under the tank and I just put it on the side and it got up to 90. Is it ok to have under I feel with the heat lamp up top it's too much. Also the room it's in is also pretty chilly and I think that's why it's so hard to keep the humidity in.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
HCADirectors
I was changing the substrate cause it was extremely dry even though I sprayed it several times a day and poured water in it. When I was done I put all 3 crabs back in and and one if them had a leg fall off. I was already worried about that crab cause it hasn't eaten since I got him 3 weeks ago and he seamed really sluggish. So after his leg fell off I didn't know to isolate him. So I just put him in the food dish hoping he would eat. When I checked back a few hours ago there were legs and claws everywhere and another crab had his shell. I thought he was dead cause he was curled up against the wall not moving. So I left him alone till morning and them saw he moved to the other side of the tank. I then separated him in the tank found another shell for him. I cleaned him off in distilled water and coaxed him in the shell. He has no exoskeleton and only one little claw. I separated a corner of the tank off so the other 2 wouldn't hurt him. He is really little and he can't even walk with the shell he's In. But it's been a week and he's still alive. Today I got a separate little iso tank for him and smaller shells.

Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:10 am

SylysJ wrote:1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Eco earth and half sand and about 3". It was very dry so that's why I changed it and read I should mix in the sand and eco earth together.
Moon: Your substrate is a little low. The HCA recommends no less than 6", or three times as deep as your biggest crab. Whichever is deeper wins.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
There is a single temp gauge on the cool side with the water and a temp and humidity on the warmer side and it's about an inch above the substrate. I try to keep it 78 to 83 and above 80 humidity. The humidity is hard we are in colorado it's very dry I spray it several times a day witgh distilled water and it still goes down to 50. We made a steel cover to put on top of the mesh lid to try to keep the moisture in.
3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? There is a duel light on top daylight and red and an u.t.h. I believe it's an 10watt.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Both fresh and salt. And I use zoo med conditioner and salt. Both are in 16oz bottle. I fill with water from our pur filter and 2 tsp of salt and 4 drops of condition per 16oz.
Moon: I've heard ZooMed salt isn't worth its salt. (No pun intended) A lot of crabbers use Prime conditioner and Instant Ocean. Instant Ocean has more key vitamins and nutrients that come from the sea.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? I replace it every day veggies and fruit and dried shrimp that I mist with distilled water

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? 28 days and not sure if species but has a purple claw
Moon: I'm thinking Purple Pincher. :)

No it was trying to.
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? A 10 gal. With mesh lid but we're trying to seal it.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 3 crabs 2 small 1 med.
Moon: You might want to think about upgrading to a larger tank. That's a little crowded, and they grow faster than you might think!

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? I think there is 5 right now
The HCA recommends at least 3-5 shells per crab, and more can't hurt. This lowers the chance of a shell fight.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? I've changed the substrate once cause it was completely dry.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? Yes I have a sponge in both dishes. And I rinse the off every other day.
Moon: Sponges aren't really necessary. They just harbour bacteria. If your crabs need the sponges to get out, try lining the bottom with rocks, or making a ladder out of craft mesh. Plastic aquarium plants work too. :)

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? No since it's pretty new

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? So I've read so many different things. One thing is the calcium sand is bad? Also the uth I had under the tank and I just put it on the side and it got up to 90. Is it ok to have under I feel with the heat lamp up top it's too much. Also the room it's in is also pretty chilly and I think that's why it's so hard to keep the humidity in.
I don't suggest placing it underneath, the sand could get too hot. Is it necessary to have the UTH with the heat lamp, or does it get too cold with just the heat lamp?

HCADirectors
I was changing the substrate cause it was extremely dry even though I sprayed it several times a day and poured water in it. When I was done I put all 3 crabs back in and and one if them had a leg fall off. I was already worried about that crab cause it hasn't eaten since I got him 3 weeks ago and he seamed really sluggish. So after his leg fell off I didn't know to isolate him. So I just put him in the food dish hoping he would eat. When I checked back a few hours ago there were legs and claws everywhere and another crab had his shell. I thought he was dead cause he was curled up against the wall not moving. So I left him alone till morning and them saw he moved to the other side of the tank. I then separated him in the tank found another shell for him. I cleaned him off in distilled water and coaxed him in the shell. He has no exoskeleton and only one little claw. I separated a corner of the tank off so the other 2 wouldn't hurt him. He is really little and he can't even walk with the shell he's In. But it's been a week and he's still alive. Today I got a separate little iso tank for him and smaller shells.
So sorry to hear about this. :( It sounds like a shell fight to me, but I may be wrong. Was your crab buried in the substrate when you changed it? He could have been molting. I can't help much, but I know other crabbers have fed their injured crabs with a Q-tip (with the cotton removed, I think?). Honey, peanut butter and eggshells are all great healing foods. I'm sorry I can't help more. I do hope your little buddy makes it. :(
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

Topic author
SylysJ

Post by SylysJ » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:22 am

Thank you for your input. So what is dechlorinated fw and dechlorinated msw? Is that the water? Also is bottled distilled water good or does it still have to be conditioned cause I use it for everything. And for feeding him does dried shrimp count for calcium or should I give him something else. I did get an iso tank set up but it was before I read your reply. So I used the distilled water to moisten the eco earth substrate I got. So if that's not good I will replace it today along with the main tank cause it's eco earth mixed with calcium sand and I read that's the wrong sand.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:46 pm

Your crab has no exoskeleton? Did it surface molt and leave an empty hollow "body" that looks just like the crab?

Or did it drop all it's limbs?

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:47 pm

SylysJ wrote:Thank you for your input. So what is dechlorinated fw and dechlorinated msw? Is that the water? Also is bottled distilled water good or does it still have to be conditioned cause I use it for everything. And for feeding him does dried shrimp count for calcium or should I give him something else. I did get an iso tank set up but it was before I read your reply. So I used the distilled water to moisten the eco earth substrate I got. So if that's not good I will replace it today along with the main tank cause it's eco earth mixed with calcium sand and I read that's the wrong sand.
I highly recommend that you take a few minutes and go over our care guide. This will answer most of your questions.

Topic author
SylysJ

Post by SylysJ » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:20 pm

soilentgringa wrote:Your crab has no exoskeleton? Did it surface molt and leave an empty hollow "body" that looks just like the crab?

Or did it drop all it's limbs?

No there was a crab fight and his pieces were everywhere. All his claws except a little one and most his front legs I found probably 6 legs his antennas his hardness that's on his head.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:41 pm

Okay. Then your crab still has its exoskeleton, but has lost all its limbs.

Topic author
SylysJ

Post by SylysJ » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:08 pm

soilentgringa wrote:Okay. Then your crab still has its exoskeleton, but has lost all its limbs.

He was out of a shell for a while and I tried to coax him in a shell and nothing on him was hard. She shrunk in size so much he doesn't have any strength to walk in the smallest shell I could find. Although it's been a week and he's still alive he hasn't touched his water at all but I did put a strawberry right outside his shell and saw him nibbling

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:03 pm

I replied GB for GotButterflies
Moonlightdreams wrote:
SylysJ wrote:1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Eco earth and half sand and about 3". It was very dry so that's why I changed it and read I should mix in the sand and eco earth together.
Moon: Your substrate is a little low. The HCA recommends no less than 6", or three times as deep as your biggest crab. Whichever is deeper wins.

GB: You also need to mix your substrate with either dechlorinated msw or dechlorinated fw to make your substrate sandcastle consistency.

GB: Okay - are you using a dechlorinator? Make sure you are using something that removes chlorine, chloramine and detoxifies ammonia and neutralizes heavy metals. Also, things that can help raise humidity: Glass tops, moss pits, deeper substrate, air stones in the water pools. Humidity needs to be kept above 80. Hermit crabs have modified gills and have to have the humidity to breathe.

GB: Heat lamps are going to make a lot of your humidity evaporate. I personally don't like heat lamps. You can also not use heat lamps with glass tops. A lot of us crabbers use UTHs as heat sources. We use them to heat the air of the tank by placing them on the back of the tank above the substrate. www.reptilebasics.com or www.beanfarm.com

Moon: I've heard ZooMed salt isn't worth its salt. (No pun intended) A lot of crabbers use Prime conditioner and Instant Ocean. Instant Ocean has more key vitamins and nutrients that come from the sea.

GB: Unfortunately most products marketed for hermit crabs are not safe. You need a dechlorinator that removes chlorine, and chloramine as well as neutralizes ammonia and heavy metals. A lot of us use a product called Prime. As far as salt, you need marine salt, to mimic the ocean. A lot of us use a product called Instant Ocean which is what aquarium hobbyists use to make saltwater aquariums. It has the essential trace elements that hermit crabs need. :) You have to use the dechlorinator for both freshwater and marine saltwater. Both pools should be deep enough for them to fully submerge in and safe enough for them to get out of.

GB: Make sure you cover all aspects of food pyramid You also need to provide a calcium source. You can purchase a cuttlebone from the bird section in the pet store. :) Foods should be organic when possible. Hermit crabs are sensitive to pesticides and fertilizers.
Safe food list: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92557
Unsafe food list: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92556
Food pyramid: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92554

No it was trying to.

GB: I personally think you are overcrowded. I recommend 1 crab per 5 gallons for small and medium crabs. You can use press n seal or plastic wrap on the mesh lid, but that would have to be removed with your light.

Moon: You might want to think about upgrading to a larger tank. That's a little crowded, and they grow faster than you might think!

The HCA recommends at least 3-5 shells per crab, and more can't hurt. This lowers the chance of a shell fight.

GB: The HCA recommends 3-5 shells per hermit crab. I personally recommend more. It never hurts to have more :) There are incorrect shells to buy. Here is the shell guide: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=92552

Moon: Sponges aren't really necessary. They just harbour bacteria. If your crabs need the sponges to get out, try lining the bottom with rocks, or making a ladder out of craft mesh. Plastic aquarium plants work too. :)

I don't suggest placing it underneath, the sand could get too hot. Is it necessary to have the UTH with the heat lamp, or does it get too cold with just the heat lamp?

HCADirectors
So sorry to hear about this. :( It sounds like a shell fight to me, but I may be wrong. Was your crab buried in the substrate when you changed it? He could have been molting. I can't help much, but I know other crabbers have fed their injured crabs with a Q-tip (with the cotton removed, I think?). Honey, peanut butter and eggshells are all great healing foods. I'm sorry I can't help more. I do hope your little buddy makes it. :(

GB: It is not necessary to change the substrate. If you have previously wet your substrate with dechlorinated msw, just remoisten it with fw. It sounds like your crab was first suffering from PPS, and then had his shell stolen. Make sure you provide him with raw organic honey, calcium, protein, dechlorinated msw & dechlorinated fw.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
SylysJ

Re: Crab fight and crab out of his shell!!

Post by SylysJ » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:32 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I replied GB for GotButterflies
Moonlightdreams wrote:

GB: You also need to mix your substrate with either dechlorinated msw or dechlorinated fw to make your substrate sandcastle consistency.

GB: Okay - are you using a dechlorinator? Make sure you are using something that removes chlorine, chloramine and detoxifies ammonia and neutralizes heavy metals. Also, things that can help raise humidity: Glass tops, moss pits, deeper substrate, air stones in the water pools. Humidity needs to be kept above 80. Hermit crabs have modified gills and have to have the humidity to breathe.

GB: Heat lamps are going to make a lot of your humidity evaporate. I personally don't like heat lamps. You can also not use heat lamps with glass tops. A lot of us crabbers use UTHs as heat sources. We use them to heat the air of the tank by placing them on the back of the tank above the substrate. http://www.reptilebasics.com or http://www.beanfarm.com

GB: Unfortunately most products marketed for hermit crabs are not safe. You need a dechlorinator that removes chlorine, and chloramine as well as neutralizes ammonia and heavy metals. A lot of us use a product called Prime. As far as salt, you need marine salt, to mimic the ocean. A lot of us use a product called Instant Ocean which is what aquarium hobbyists use to make saltwater aquariums. It has the essential trace elements that hermit crabs need. :) You have to use the dechlorinator for both freshwater and marine saltwater. Both pools should be deep enough for them to fully submerge in and safe enough for them to get out of.

GB: Make sure you cover all aspects of food pyramid You also need to provide a calcium source. You can purchase a cuttlebone from the bird section in the pet store. :) Foods should be organic when possible. Hermit crabs are sensitive to pesticides and fertilizers.
Safe food list: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92557
Unsafe food list: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92556
Food pyramid: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92554

No it was trying to.

GB: I personally think you are overcrowded. I recommend 1 crab per 5 gallons for small and medium crabs. You can use press n seal or plastic wrap on the mesh lid, but that would have to be removed with your light.

GB: The HCA recommends 3-5 shells per hermit crab. I personally recommend more. It never hurts to have more :) There are incorrect shells to buy. Here is the shell guide: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=92552

HCADirectors

GB: It is not necessary to change the substrate. If you have previously wet your substrate with dechlorinated msw, just remoisten it with fw. It sounds like your crab was first suffering from PPS, and then had his shell stolen. Make sure you provide him with raw organic honey, calcium, protein, dechlorinated msw & dechlorinated fw.
Update. So yesterday I replaced the main tank cause it cracked along the bottom. I've read the care guide and everything I thought I was doing right was wrong. I used play sand and coconut fibers prob 4-2 since I have trouble with humidity. I used instant ocean on the substrate but also dechlorinated first with one that was on the list. I also got some moss(sorghum) to help the humidity. Boiled all extra shells in dechlorinated water. So far the humidity has stayed at 80 and I turned off the heat lamp for a little bit since it was warmer today. And my hurt crab is in his iso tank also. He seems to be getting stronger and looks like he is able to move in his shell now. He has some egg shells and shrimp and I'll try to get to the store to get him some honey. I think he is going to make it. His body has more color to it and he looks harder now.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:03 pm

Thanks for the update! We are here for you when you need us! :)

Topic author
SylysJ

Post by SylysJ » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:32 pm

SylysJ wrote:
Moonlightdreams wrote: So sorry to hear about this. :( It sounds like a shell fight to me, but I may be wrong. Was your crab buried in the substrate when you changed it? He could have been molting. I can't help much, but I know other crabbers have fed their injured crabs with a Q-tip (with the cotton removed, I think?). Honey, peanut butter and eggshells are all great healing foods. I'm sorry I can't help more. I do hope your little buddy makes it. :(

Update. So yesterday I replaced the main tank cause it cracked along the bottom. I've read the care guide and everything I thought I was doing right was wrong. I used play sand and coconut fibers prob 4-2 since I have trouble with humidity. I used instant ocean on the substrate but also dechlorinated first with one that was on the list. I also got some moss(sorghum) to help the humidity. Boiled all extra shells in dechlorinated water. So far the humidity has stayed at 80 and I turned off the heat lamp for a little bit since it was warmer today. And my hurt crab is in his iso tank also. He seems to be getting stronger and looks like he is able to move in his shell now. He has some egg shells and shrimp and I'll try to get to the store to get him some honey. I think he is going to make it. His body has more color to it and he looks harder now.

So Bob has been down for a month in iso tank he came up tonight and has already switched shells and looks like he has most of his legs and claws back. My question is when should I move him back in the main tank?

Topic author
SylysJ

Post by SylysJ » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:52 pm

SylysJ wrote:
SylysJ wrote:

So Bob has been down for a month in iso tank he came up tonight and has already switched shells and looks like he has most of his legs and claws back. My question is when should I move him back in the main tank?

Here's BobImage