Alternatives to Artemia?

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
hopefullcrabber

Alternatives to Artemia?

Post by hopefullcrabber » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:48 pm

I am knew to the forum, so please excuse me of my question has already been answered. When rearing zoea Is there a reason that no one seems to be using anything other than Artemia? Has anyone tried copepods or rotifers?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Alternatives to Artemia?

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:05 am

I just believe its convenience of baby brine shrimp (BBS) that many successful members tend to use. But also, since brine shrimp is basically a snack that doesnt fight back - as they are very small, while copepods tend to be around a 1mm or larger - that makes them ideal.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:57 am

I tried rotifers (and algae as a food source) when I attempted zoea. Honestly, I think it is the ease of brine shrimp coupled with their size and movement. Zoea are known to cannibalise heavily, and the brine shrimp make a good decoy! Brine shrimp are also gut loaded ready to go within a few hours. A rotifer colony can take weeks to get up in numbers and the algae colonies have to constantly be rotated and also take a couple of weeks and a very strong light source.

That said the algae and rotifer colonies were fun, if messy. Air pump and heaters for both left a salt crust over everything nearby. The algae has to come from a live starter and my only option was mail order overnight because of summer temps. Rotifers can be started with a live colony which is quicker, but there are also freeze dried starters. I never used my freeze dried, just had it as a backup.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
hopefullcrabber

Post by hopefullcrabber » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:36 pm

Thank you for your responses. When my strawberries finally drop some babies down or me, I think I'm going to experiment with copepods. Does anyone have an estimate of the particle size of prey ingested by the different stages and roughly how many prey a single zoea can eat in a day?

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:06 pm

hopefullcrabber wrote:Thank you for your responses. When my strawberries finally drop some babies down or me, I think I'm going to experiment with copepods. Does anyone have an estimate of the particle size of prey ingested by the different stages and roughly how many prey a single zoea can eat in a day?
Whose breeding journals have you read? Curlz is pretty extensive, and you can always ask @Renroc.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:08 pm

I just fed mine fine grain beta food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:54 am

I'm planning to try copepods and a couple of other things the next time I get a chance. Have you checked out Jehmco.com?