POWER OUTAGE - MOLTING CRABS

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
suebrad

POWER OUTAGE - MOLTING CRABS

Post by suebrad » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:15 pm

Recently had a power outage at the same time I have two hermit crabs molting (since Jan). Temps dropped to mid-50s despite everything I could think of to keep them warm. If I dig them up and by chance they survived, what is my next step since I interrupted their molt...thank you.

piratetoothgir

Re: POWER OUTAGE - MOLTING CRABS

Post by piratetoothgir » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:18 pm

I wouldn’t dig them up, they are doing fine as it is. Try to provide heat by using a space heater, wrapping towels and blankets, or using a desk lamp that gets warm.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:20 pm

If the temp is back to normal, it is better to wait it out, nothing you could do now could help them. Not being disturbed is more important.

If it is cold and you need to remove them to get them to heat, do so carefully! Have plastic containers ready with some substrate to isolate.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
suebrad

Post by suebrad » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:42 pm

Their tank was in the mid-50's for maybe a day or so last week. I had their tank wrapped up in blankets but it didn't help. Once heat came back on I was able to get their tank up to 80-81 degrees where it has maintained. I read some other posts that said in the 50's not good which I assumed. This is their first molt since changing out their substrate from Eco Earth coconut fiber to the Hermit Crab Patch sand. I don't know if that makes any difference whatsoever. Inherited them from my grandsons and I really love the little guys. I pray they survived. DJ went down @1st week Jan and Sharkey @mid Jan. Thank you for yr quick responses...new to the site.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Sand holds temperature longer than other substrates, so it may not have gotten too cold. If they went down in January, they could be down well into May. Obviously it is your choice of what to do, but I would urge you to wait, at least a little while longer. When they are molting they can handle lower temperatures better since they are in a hibernation like state.

Topic author
suebrad

Post by suebrad » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:24 pm

My guys have have never been down for more than approx 2-2 1/2 months before that is why I was getting even more concerned. I am certainly going to take your advice and leave them alone...thx.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:53 pm

I would wait too!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
suebrad

Post by suebrad » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:12 pm

Update - DJ came up from molting last night...doing well just missing Sharkey who has not come up yet. Hopefully Sharkey has survived the power outage also. Thx for everyone's support. It pays to listen to the pros.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:47 pm

Yay!! If one is okay the other should be too. :) At the very least I would not worry about the temps causing problems.

Topic author
suebrad

Post by suebrad » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:25 pm

Thank you

Topic author
suebrad

Post by suebrad » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:58 pm

UPDATE - My Sharkey finally came up recently fm molting. So now they are both accounted for and are doing well. I have purchased a battery backup so hopefully if there is another power outage they should be ok. Thank you all for yr guidance and support. The best to all of you and yr babies.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:40 pm

Awesome news!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:38 pm

I'm glad it had a happy ending, and good thinking about the battery backup!

Topic author
suebrad

Post by suebrad » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:48 pm

Thank you both for everything. Again, it pays to listen to the pros.

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:23 pm

Did they continue to do well after they surfaced? My power was out for 16 hrs last night and the tank got to 57 for I don't know how many hours before I realized it and was able to warm it again. I have two, and one seems to be fine, but the other hasn't budged all day and I'm fearing the worst. (Neither was molting at the time)
just a FYI - not sure what kind of battery backup you have but I have a APC for computer, which I did plug their ultratherm into, but it only lasted 2 hours before it died so unless you have a $500 unit or something it may not give you as many hours as you think.

Edit: both crabs seem fine now. The one I was worried about (that was still all day) finally moved around that evening and ate and (I hope) is back to normal.