Feeding post molt crabs

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
crabby33

Feeding post molt crabs

Post by crabby33 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:14 am

My crab Buckbeak went down to molt last Saturday, what do I feed him when he comes up from his molt? From what I have read, post molt crabs require a lot of food because they're going to be hungry.

Moonlightdreams

Re: Feeding post molt crabs

Post by Moonlightdreams » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:52 am

crabby33 wrote:My crab Buckbeak went down to molt last Saturday, what do I feed him when he comes up from his molt? From what I have read, post molt crabs require a lot of food because they're going to be hungry.
First, love the name. :wink:

Second, you can offer a variety of food! My molter came up a few days ago, and he devoured the new dry food I gave him. (Dred silkworms, freeze-dried shrimp, dried carrots, almonds, and a few other things that may have been bok choy, zucchini and banana - not sure. :P ) Organic honey is a great healing food, and peanut butter is good too. (Look for organic with no salt/sugar/etc!) This is my first molt, so I'm still figuring things out, but I'd definitely cover the bases - animal protein, plant protein, calcium, fruits, etc. Follow the food pyramid! :wink:
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks, Moonlightdreams! I have been following the food pyramid. I also refer back to the pyramid to see if there is anything I'm not feeding them.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:43 pm

I have had my two crabs for 7 1/2 years. I have never fed them any differently, except the twice I needed to iso one. I will give a little more food after they come up from a molt because they are hungrier and go through it faster.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Just follow the food pyramid. Of course it never hurts to give them extra calcium, protein, and organic honey anyway :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com